Just been diagnosed as a diverticulitis sufferer...... Advice needed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all

i am a fifty year old woman who has just spent the last week in hospital and whilst there have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I am now looking for advise on what I can include in my diet and what foods are forbidden, I have to return to the hospital to have a colonoscopy. I have suffered from IBS for some years and thought it was just a flare up of IBS. Never suffered such bad stomach cramps before, I actually thought these pains were worst than labour pains.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

​Thanks :-)

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I really know how u feel it really is a Nasty condition I was diogoised 4 years ago I'm only 32. I always know when I'm getting a flare up I feel v tired sick and running to the toilet also hot sweats I tend to eat pro biotic yogurts every day as my doc said it helps to get good bacteria into u. I avoid any thing with seeds popcorn is a big no no.when I was first diogoised they gave me a leaflet about a high fibre diet but this sometimes flares up my ibs so I've learnt what foods to avoid I have found out lately that some veg flares it up such as peas.ive just done loads of reasearch on line and found this forum v helpful .hope this has helped and stay in touch x
    • Posted

Thank you for this advice, greatly appreciated. I agree re food, it's about trial and error. :-)&
  • Posted

Licorice Root caps, Aloe Vera gel cap and Acidophilus caps (2 million cultures per).  I turned my gut around in 48 hrs. just from these natural products.  Do not let doctors take your money.  I had severe diarrhea for 12 days, went to ER and was given Cipro (very dangerous antibiotic) and still it persisted for 16 days.  My mother read up and told me what to take and in less than 48 hrs. my diarrhea and sharp pains in stomach were gone.  Not here to lie to anyone.  I am sold on this, in fact my Humana Insurance nurse also said take acidophilus 3x per day until you get the flora back in your gut.  Bile has to be produced in gut...it's more than a doctor want
  • Posted

Licorice Root caps, Aloe Vera gel cap and Acidophilus caps (2 million cultures per).  I turned my gut around in 48 hrs. just from these natural products.  Do not let doctors take your money.  I had severe diarrhea for 12 days, went to ER and was given Cipro (very dangerous antibiotic) and still it persisted for 16 days.  My mother read up and told me what to take and in less than 48 hrs. my diarrhea and sharp pains in stomach were gone.  Not here to lie to anyone.  I am sold on this, in fact my Humana Insurance nurse also said take acidophilus 3x per day until you get the flora back in your gut.  Bile has to be produced in gut...it's more than a doctor want
    • Posted

Licorice Root caps, Aloe Vera gel cap and Acidophilus cap - How much of each do you take? 
  • Posted

Please note that I already mentioned Licorice Root caps, Aloe Vera gel caps and Acidophilus caps or tabs.  Totally turned my gut pains and other problems away in 48 hrs.  Cheap way to heathly stomach lining and disgestive tract.  No medicine from doctors that have side effects.
  • Posted

Hi

I suffered from IBS also for many years. Dignosed with diverticulosis 2 years ago. I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics. I said the same thing. Pain is worst than labour pains. I have been really sick since yesterday. My diet consists of spelt bread bananas melon tangerines all protein no dairy except hard cheese and vegetables that are not green. Yet it has not helped much. I take Bentylol for pain. It is prescribed but today even that did not work. I sm considering surgery but it soubds very scary.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.