Just been diagnosed that my gallbladder needs to be removed

Posted , 3 users are following.

if it wasn't for the tablets I was taking for my back making me constipated I wouldn't have known about my gallbladder as it decides to introduced itself to me. I was taken to hospital by ambulance and they gave me test and wanted me back Tuesday. Did an ultra scan and the doctor said it needs to be removed. (My mum had hers removed and my dad had a gallstone) since Tuesday my stomach has been in pain. The tablets keeps repeating themselves which taste horrible and I'm in pain (not as bad as Sunday) before all this kicked off I was being diagnosed with maybe a prolapse disc on my left side and my leg is week. (Great) how long have I got to be in pain now? Is it normal for my stomach to be hurting? It feels like a volcano ready to erupt. Feeling very low and tearful. BTW I'm 53 and my diet has been good . Apparently it runs in families.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Amanda.  I am interested in the fact you are taking,I presume,painkillers for your back.  It was co-codamol which 'started off' my gallbladder in the first place.  I'm not saying it could have been sensitive but definitely link with my painkillers.  GP does not want to know and would not offer alternative.

I know how you feel as have been waiting for my left hip to be done for nearly 5 years.  Gall bladder op postponed this at one point.  My GB is inoperable so I'm stuck with it.  Have had 4 ERCP's last year alone.

One thing to mention.  I also had to reduce calorie intake and I heard on 'Embarrassing Bodies' that this also can cause GB problems.  Who knows .?  Certainly not the NHS. It is difficult keeping weight down when you are physically incapacitated. I was perfectly healthy before all this carry on.  They could have done my hip.  I was 54 now59.  Poor you,poor us!

• Posted

Hi Franka just received your message what you had originally sent and it's just arrived ??

Yes it's strange how being on medication for something completely different can aggravate the gall bladder. Well I have been properly diagnosed that my gall bladder need to be removed. When? How quickly? Who knows but the pain is in and out. I never got much sleep last night as it was playing up even though I'm on medication for it.

As for my back, it still aches but not as bad but I am still waiting for my MRI. I did ask the doctor was the two related? He said highly unlikely but who knows. That's why I've to have the MRI.

Why is your gall bladder inoperable?

I'm on a fat free diet now. I never had a bad diet before. But certain foods did use to aggravate me but I put it down to IBS ??

Worse thing out of this is my travel insurance. I'm away next month and they want £400, that's on top of what the holiday cost. X

• Posted

Your gallbladder is inoperable? That's the strangest thing I have ever heard. In fact, if you're having gallstone pains, there's a good chance that your gallbladder could become inflamed, infected, or even ruptured if left untreated.

• Posted

I sent a huge text but didnt get through as I think I mentioned our health system.  Poor you.  Check its not painkillers causing GB problems.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Would have been interesting to see what you wrote before as you said it was a lot.

I think now I know about my gallbladder I think I'm more aware of what's going on. My stomachs has been tender for a long time lately. My partner put his arm over my tummy as I was sleeping and it felt too heavy to stay there. This had happened for quiet a while but didn't realise it had been the gallbladder. I held the pain well. Seriously put it down to I was getting older and with age your body changes and was told I had IBS. I use to see people that were over weight and think they never complain about their stomachs where as I put a small tyre on around mine and I felt tender and sometimes ready to explode. I'm glad I found out now but wish I had known earlier. I'm a bit anxious on the keyhole surgery too as I've read about people still being ill after it. When I meet the surgeon I will ask what the option is to have open surgery and the healing time.

• Posted

I had it removed and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It's been 6 months now. I eat like I always did and had actually gain too much wait smile Mine was inflamed, gallstones and cholesterol richsmile after doing a HIDA scan which showed a poor functioning gallbladder I asked for it to be removed as it was causing me tons of issues, weight loss , nausea, abdominal pain form left to right. Back pain, constipation, etc etc. ever since the surgery thank god I been feeling great. Hope it all goes well for you as well. They did a laproscopic one so I only have tiny marks on my abdomen which are slowly fading away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.