Just been diagnosed with overactive thyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

After a blue light right to hospital in November with a heart rate of 220 it was diagnosed that I had a very high overactive thyroid. I was prescribed Sotalol (beta blocker) and Carbimazole. After taking these for 3 weeks I became covered in red itchy wheals all over my body. It was decided I was allergic to either one so changed to Propanalol (beta blocker) and PCT. After being on them for 4 weeks I once again became covered in a red itchy raised rash. After being referred to a Dermatologist, it was decided I was allergic to the beta blocker and taken off them. I have been taking steroids to help with the rash. I have the very itchy rash still (2 weeks now) although it is on the way out but driving me mad! I have only beeen diagnosed for 2 months, but I feel so poorly I decided to join this website for some reassurance! My symptoms have been tremors (more apparent now off the beta blockers), weight loss (stone and half in 2 weeks), fast heart rate, sweats (thought this was menopause), itchy skin, foul smelling wee, loose stools, poor appetite, sore eyes, floaty feeling and anxiousness. My husband has taken over all house duties as I am so weak. Going up the stairs is a nightmare! My muscles wasted really quickly. I found this hard as I usually work out 3 times a week. If I bend down to pick something up I find it difficult getting up again and need help. Luckily I have private medical insurance and was seen really quickly by a consultant (8 week NHS wait in my area otherwise). I am having regular blood tests and the thyroid reading is slowly coming down, although my white blood cells are far too low at the moment. I now have a sore throat and will have to contact my GP tomorrow because you have to come off the PCT if this happens. I'VE HAD ENOUGH! Please someone out there tell me it will get better or you have experienced the same. Apologies for the long comment but I just needed to share! Could write so much more! sad

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kaye

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time.

I had a whole 18months of shear hell, which started with an overactive thyroid.

You will begin to feel better.

My GP thinks what cured me was a complete change in diet as i just couldn't eat anything while i was on carbinmazole.

Lizzy

• Posted

Thank you for your kindness Lizzy.

Now I am off the beta blockers (caused allergic reaction) my heart is racing again. Anyone got any ideas for coping with this? I don't like the feeling - is currently 104 bpm which makes me feel panicky which causes it to race more!

Can I ask Lizzy how you changed your diet? Will try anything!

• Posted

Hi Kaye

As for the heart speed i can't really help apart from i use to try and sleep it off but even that i found very very difficult. Sleep is like my coping mechanism when things get difficult. Relaxation techniques so that you don't panic may help. (sorry about the poor spelling)

I was told it would be really dangerous to come off the medication so it really upset my eating habbits. I found i had a great passion for bite size shredded wheat with no milk (yes foul really but for some reason it what my brain told me i needed.) Then a biscuit for mid morning break and for some reason plums (it was just like being pregnant again) At Lunch i had a sandwich and for tea a small meal whatever the family was eating. No food after 6pm. My stomach just couldn't cope with any more. I've been like this since last Jan2008, but i do eat more types of fruit now. i also started to walk to work to try and take my mind of things. ( i lost weight too but i was overweight to start with.) Till then i ate all the unhealthy foods going.

To be quite honest looking back now it was the lack of support from my GP and endo consultant coupled with the terrible medication problems. My Gp hadn't seem me for 4 years previous to the thyroid problem and he was new too to me so i think he missjudge the situation.Basicly i lost it my anxiety was terrible and looking back now depression too when eventually my GP accepted i had a problem he reccomended cognitive therapy from the following two books, Mind Over Mood Dennis Greenberger & Christine Padesky---- Overcoming Depression and Low Mood Chris Williams. They teach you how to cope with life problems. i was too far gone to read them so ended up on anti depressants for anxiety. The books are interactive you have to do a lot of writing and when i could consentrate they did help.

My problem was once the thyroid got back to normal i still had all those symptoms as the are very similar to stress.

I know it will get better hang in there.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for your advice - I can't believe how poorly the thyroid can make you feel! Am seeing GP this morning as heart racing even faster this morning and have got sore throat, earache and swollen glands! When taking thyroid medication it is recommended that you come off them if you get a sore throat. I hope this doesn't happen as it will be another set back. I'm still covered in this itchy rash, especially my feet - they said I was allergic to beta blockers (Propanalol) but unless it goes by the weekend I wonder if they've got that right!

Appetite gone again and running to loo. Very emotional again - all the symptoms I thought I had under control. Feel like running away! But will hang in there - I'm sure it will improve. The days are just very long at the moment because I'm not working and even a little bit of housework knackers me! (And I'm really houseproud usually!)

Take care.

Kay x

• Posted

Hi

How did it go at the doctors ?

What part of the country do you live in?

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

By the time I got to the doctors at 9.30 thismorning my pulse was 140! I didn't feel panicky but it was racing! He said it could be the cold virus I have at the moment and he was loathed to send me to hospital because of my heart was going so fast. I hadn't even considered hospital but obviously he had! Anyhow, he prescribed a different beta blocker which you take one a day and this calmed my heart rate down within the hour. He asked me to ring him at 12.30 to let him know if the medication had worked. He said only to take these tablets when I need them.

I feel much better now but another wasted day - or that's how I see things at the moment. I'm usually so active it's doing my head in feeling so weak! Still, time is the best healer I suppose. My daughters are 19 and 21 and them and my husband have been so good but look so helpless when I'm having 'a moment'!

Oh well, tomorrows another day - blood test results tomorrow!

I live near Kettering in Northamptonshire. What about you?

Kay x

• Posted

Hi

Pleased to hear you are feeling better and i hope your blood results have improved.

I have 4 kids 3 girls and a boy.(ages 19 16 14 and 12 years) They have been great and so has my husband.

I live in Derbyshire close to the M1.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi

hope your blood test results were better.

take care

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

GP just rang with results - T4 down to 11.4 which is brilliant! My white blood cell count is not good at the moment but that's because I've got a cold virus he said. Got to get in contact with consultant now to reduce PCT medication. Haven't had a 'funny turn' since Wednesday, so fingers crossed that my pulse keeps lower than it has been. I can still feel it in my head sometimes but that's just me I expect! I've learnt not to get too excited when I feel a bit better though because there is usually a set back just around the corner! Ever the pessimist! GP did say thyroid could go underactive now ...................

Not going to tell my daughter my results yet as she's hoovering the whole house at the moment - milk it as long as I can ha ha!

Hope you are well. Perhaps we could meet half way for coffee?

:coffee:

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Kaye

Pleased to hear you are feeling better. That your blood results are better. I was pushed underactive the 2nd month and that was just as bad as being overactive.

I signed the consent form for radioiodine in the end as my thyroid was all over the place, but because the healthservice is so slow i got 3 normal readings and so cancelled it.

Take care let your daughter do the housework while you can.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

Dermatologist rang me back today about my rash as it's not improving even tho been off beta blockers for 9 days. She said I am allergic to the thyroid tablets and to stop them immediately, which my GP approved. Consultant going to ring me Monday and I think he'll be keen start the iodine treatment as he has mentioned this before when I was allergic to the first set of drugs. You've got to be clear of all tablets for two weeks before treatment apparently.

GP said the danger would be going underactive now. Is there no let up?!

Are you 'cured' now Lizzy? And how long for? Any reoccuring symptoms?

It must be like living with a sentence over you as so often I've read it reoccurs years later! I don't really want to have my thyroid out as you can balloon in weight, and I've been over weight for years - yo yo dieter etc. although loosing stone and half has been brill - now a 14! I wonder how long for??!!!

Take care,

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Kaye

Sorry to hear you have hit more problems. It was just a nightmare from start to finish for me.

Mine went overactive in Aug 2007 GP then had to wait 3 weeks for Systemic lupus consultant to agree a course of medication. So had to keep an eye on all danger signs.

Started medication 20mg of carbimazole went back 4 weeks later symptoms really bad still.Also i was swelling up and had really bad headaches which i never suffered with before. further 4 weeks went back told GP gone under did't believe me so more blood tests urgent phone call stop too low.

Within a month gone high again so more bloods restarted carbimazole on a really low dose due to side effects. Thought had Lupus flare so got emergency appointment with consultant who said it was thyroid and told me to get thyroid under control.She wrote to GP and told him if he couldn't sort send me to endo.

Really bad heads and swelling GP said i can't have alternative meds as it can cause Lupus as i already have that that opption not available. Had to wait 8 weeks for endo.Became very ill and looking back now anxiety went through roof . Put on tablets for vertigo was still on them when went to see endo consultant they had also calmed me down and made me very relaxed. Endo said i could have radioiodine or stay on tablets. i picked the tablets as i was terrified of being sent underactive as one of the symptoms with lupus is i sleep all the time and i felt i could'nt cope with sleeping more.(i sleep 10 hour nights and 3 hours most afternoons)

3 days later came off vertigo tabs went down hill rapidly became suicidal really bad stomach ache, bad heads and even more swelling. Endo could't see me for 3 months. So took myself off carbimazole a month later as i could't cope any longer on it.

When went back to endo still had all thyroid symptoms they were cross with me. Told me it would be high now and only opption was radioiodine.So signed the consent forms. 2 weeks later had consultation for radioiodine agreed on a date for 6 weeks later as i was so frightened, it should have been done following week.

I went into a deep depression where i just slept all the time eventually went to GP who did more bloods found thyroid was normal and had been for 3 months so cancelled the radioiodine. A month later put onto antidepressents as still got thyroid symptoms(we now knew that stress symptoms for me are the same as thyroid, tremmor, hot sweats,looseing weight, muscle aches ect..)

I have bloods every 3 months so far been Ok but its like sitting on a time bomb every time i feel strange i don't know if its stress or thyroid. At the moment the tremmors, needing less sleep and buzz are back which is it? I don't know hoping it will go away.

Radioiodine or poison (tablets) which i don't know.

Ps never suffered with anxiety or depression before thyroid and i am 43.

Take care hope i haven't bore you too much.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi

It would seem 4 months of the medication is not enough to make the thyroid stay normal. I was told at least 6 months was needed.

Time will tell.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

You have really been through hell and back haven't you? And I am sorry you have been through so much - I feel the same and I'm only a beginner! The books/internet don't tell you ALL the facts, do they?

My consultant rang yesterday and said he is sorry I have been through so much but to have a think of further treatment over the weekend and he will as well and will ring me on Monday. I don't really fancy the iodine treatment and would be willing to give Carbimazole a go again, but this rash is only just going after 3 weeks of itching and I can't go through another allergic reaction 'just in case it might not be Carbimazle'. I feel like a guinea pig!

I wake up every morning hoping this rash has gone. It is going slowly, but have got another patch on the soft delicate part of my upper arms now. Perhaps the drug is just trying to find an escape route! I've made cakes thismorning to try and take my mind off itching!

I've just made bacon sandwiches and a pot of tea for us all for lunch and my heart is racing! This is really starting to get on my nerves not being able to do anything and have become emotional again.

Good job I'm not working at the moment because there is no way I could work! I get up every morning thinking 'great - another day in these four walls!' - I am driving again now but not far - that's a confidence thing I think. I've arranged an eye examination next week as consultants says I've got Graves disease, although eyes seem ok. Don't speak too soon!

I've got lots of friends but am conscious I am talking about me all the time. I try not to but because I'm not my usual self they ask me if I'm ok. We went to a friends birthday last night (only stayed 2 hours because of itching in public!) and it was so strange not to be the bouncy lively talkative one! I was a bit like a wall flower!

Anyhow, will know more after speaking to the consultant tomorrow.

From P*ss*d off of Northampton!!

Kay x

• Posted

Hi

Thought i would share :bubbly:

Been a busy day cleaned the house from top to bottom even stripped all the beds and washed, still drying.

When your thyroid went overactive did you go on a high like being merry?

I only work mornings a mile from home. I had to stop driving to start with as my brain was all over the place. so i walked i think that helped.

Its the emotional part i found the hardest to cope with i'm sure thats the thyroid.

Sorry can't help with the itching. It must be driving you up the wall!

Chating on here helps like you i have got some good friends and am well aware that i mustn't talk about my problems all the time as it must get really boring.

This afternoon i have been on a long walk with hubby and still got plenty of energy to burn.It was very cold, windy and muddy.

How do you fill your spare time? it must be hard when you feel awful?

Hope all goes well at the optitions and that your consultant comes up with a good solution.

Lizzy

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up