just been perscribed citalopram, not sure whether i want to take them?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i went to the doctors today to discuss the recent anxiety i have been facing. id like to think that it is not as bad as i think it is. my day to day life is ok however, i get extremley anxious when arranging dates with other people and going out to the point where i cancel and have to make excuses. id think that it is just nerves buts its more than that. i have all the signs of the begining of a panic attack.

my GP has perscribed me on citalopram and after reading everyones experiances on here has scared me senseless. i dont want to take one everyday as i dont want to be addicted to them and end up on the long term. especially as i am 22 and a nursing student iread that it increases fatigue along with other side effects

like said i feel ok day to day and some of the side effects i have read says it increases anxiety. as stupid as it sounds i just want something that i only need to take once when im feeling that anxious? or can i just take one citapram when i need them or will they not have the same effect?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Sorry to hear you have been feeling as you have. I know your feelings oh so well. Citalopram is effective in treating anxiety but it does cause more anxiety to begin with and it is something you need to take long term every day, for at least 6 months most drs recommend. Maybe therapy would suit you better? Did your dr refer you for cognitive behaviour therapy? How long has this been happening? Can you think of anything that might have triggered it? The thing with anxiety is the more you avoid doing the things like meeting ppl due to anxiety the more anxious you will get when something comes up..like a vicious cycle... you need to feel anxious but go out anyway... easier said than done I know, hence why you have been prescribed these pills. Have you tried any self help methods? There are some good books such as feel the fear and do it anyway and self help for your nerves by clare weekes. Citalopram isnt addictive tho and is very effective in treating anxiety in most people. I have taken it twice for anxiety in the past and it really really helped me x

• Posted

thank you! my doctor did briefley mention therapy however, since in university i would need to seek it through them. im not that far into the course and dont really want to bring it up with them this soon. its been happening for about nearly a year and half i think. i dont think anything has triggered it maybe its just been an underlining problem i have tried to ignore the past couple of years. howeever, im really unsure on starting these tablets as when i got home and did my research they are an antidepressents. i certainly feel very anxious in certain situations but not depressed. thank you i will order the books now and try and find other ways of self help before visiting my gp again
    • Posted

Good luck x just wanted to say though they are an anti deppressant but they do work in treating anxiety. I have never been depressed until now just years of battling anxiety. When I was on them in the past I didn't have depression. I feel I am now (finally) over most of my anxiety and I got over it by forcing myself to do the things that made me anxious regardless of the anxiety. Everything is never as bad as I think it is going to be. I also gave up caffiene.

• Posted

Dear c41168. I first went on these meds for my balance, I asked if they where addictive, but not much comment, however they have helped !y balance but if I don't take them , my balance is worse so Do you take them or not to help your particular problem . !!! Not much help but being honest. Good luck.

• Posted

hi! The medication is not addictive but the side effects going on and coming off them can be extreme. I personally would never choose to go on medication without first trying therapy and certainly not without ongoing consultation. I saw a therapist for a year before I started medication and I have suffered chronic anxiety for 10 years. You have to take the medication every single day for a very long time before it works and if you stop suddenly or miss a dose here and there you can get sick.

Studies have found people with mild anxiety respond as well to the medication as a placebo, and that cognitive brain training is just as effective if not better than any medication. 

I think you should 100% see a counsellor/therapist. A GP isn't an expert in mental health by trade - if you had a broken bone you wouldnt go to a GP, you'd go to the hospital. Same thing. You don't need to involve your university just ask your GP for a recommendation and you can get at least 10 subsidised sessions with a therapist/counsellor.

My therapist always gives me an analogy of your anxiety being a mountain you need to climb to recovery. The medication doesnt fix the problem or get you there quicker, it's just a good pair of boots to equip you to climb better. You still need to put the work in - this work includes meditation, mindfulness, exercise, therapy sessions, reading about your illness, setting and reaching goals. There is no magic pill to fix this.

I suggest your first step is to go back to the doctor and ask for a recommendation to a therapist. Find a practitioner you are comfortable with and begin treatment. Leave the tablets alone until you have exhausted every avenue. If you look up any documents, research, info sites, government sites they all say the same thing - medication is the last resort!

Good luck!!

• Posted

If you like I can message you a few info sites (all reputable) that explain all the treatment options better and provide you with some resources on how to get started.
    • Posted

thank you so much! i will be visiting my GP again and be asking about therapists as i dont think that taking the citalopram is going to help me x
    • Posted

that would be great, thank you! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.