Just been prescribed 10mg citalopram.. what should i expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Perscribed to help with depression and anxiety 

1 like, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Stay with it....its a good choice of drug if you get minimal side effects.   It will take a few weeks to really kick in but it helped me out of a very dark whole once.....and I've been on and off it.   Make sure you read the leaflet that comes with it.  You may need an increase in dose .....these drugs are titrated until they hit the mark or if not you may need a change of meds....but for the moment stay with the citalopram.......I hope your journey to recovery is a swift one smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Best npt to take any pills, better to walk, eat fruit, be active and find inner strength. I never take pills but walking and writing stories helps me depression. I don`t believe in animal experiments and I believe that most drugs give side effects which makes things worse. Only nature and natural remedies can truly help.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

Just to point out to you there are those who believe in more natural remedies...and to be fair many people find relief with this side of self treatment.....there is alot to be said for it, for example the use of St Johns Wort......works a treat for some.  There are also many different ways of dealing with immediate release, Spa's, massage etc......all of these remedies have something to offer the right people.....i.e. they are remedies that fit the problem and have some efficacy....and I have also uded these to varying degrees myself with some effect.  

BUT if your level of anxiety and low mood is so extreme firstly how are you going to organise these therapies?? and secondly you probably won't succeed getting past the first day without a more chemical reversal of the problem.  

Psychiatric meds generally are not long term treatments....they are not a sign that you have 'no hope' and many people see negatives with the use of meds.......I don't agree ad if it wasn't for meds I wouldn't be alive to tell my story today.

It all depends on where you are at and how severe your situation is......never say never !!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Assume you have discussed your health with your doctor and he/she believes that Citalopram will help. The normal theraputic range for Citalopram (the dosage at which doctors expect it to be effective) is between 20-60mg daily. 

I imagine, therefore, that your doc has started you on a lower dose to allow your body to get used to the drug and in doing so, hopefully avoid or at least minimise any side effects of the drug. Your doc should have arranged a follow up appt to discuss your progress and, if you are tolerating the drug well, increase your dose, reviewing it with you regularly until you feel benefit from it.

These drugs take time to build up in your system and work so don't be unduly concerned if you don't start to feel any benefit for 4-6 weeks.

They can have side effects but it's important to remember that not everyone will experience them. When I started Citalopram it was on 10mg, moving up to 60. The major problem for me was sleeplessness but if you experience any effects that worry you then speak to your doctor. There are plenty other AD's available if necessary as Everyone reacts differently to these drugs.

Good luck.   

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry, I would just add that if you are taking Citalopram then DON'T start taking a natural remedy like St Johns Wort at the same time as it can lead to a potentially dangerous drug interaction called Serotonin Syndrome.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I should have said this with my openess to different approaches......but the guy has said the important thing......don't self medicate if your on prescribed meds.......that includes what we call 'herbal remedies'.....please exclude them if your medicating....tasmile
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up