just been told I have 2 cysts 6cm and 8cm

Posted , 5 users are following.

Taken into hospital with suspected appendicitis last Wednesday, to be told on Thursday I have a cyst on each ovary 6cm and 8cm that was probably causing the pain.  Sent home for 'watchful waiting' for 6 weeks on painkillers.  (initially told I would be having op until I saw consultant who dismissed the idea at 4pm after being nil by mouth all day incase).

I was told very little at hospital and have had to research for myself on internet.

still waiting to find out about blood tests taken today back at my GP as hospital did not deal with infection showing up in first blood tests.  Also had CA125 test last week - no answer for that yet.

discovered that i have had many sypmtoms as described on nhs choices website but no-one asked me about - despite having history taken so many times.

what is your experience of watchful waiting? did things improve or not?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have not been in this position yself but understand about 90% improve and many disappear in three menstral cycles

As you will have seen from the NHS choices website it says "In most cases, a policy of "watchful waiting" is recommended, where you receive no immediate treatment. This is because most cysts disappear after a few weeks without the need for treatment. A follow-up ultrasound scan will help confirm whether this is the case".

These are part of the Royal College Of Gynacologist guidelines so push for that follow up to be booked for after the six weeks you have been given the painkillers for..

• Posted

hi dizzylizzie i too have a cyst on my left ovary 5cm i got told by my gp 4cm or more they get removed.had my hosp app last wk an they want to leave it 8 wks to see if it goes on its own.the pain is terrible living on painkillers.they recon pain i,m getting in my left side an hip an other symptons are nothing to do with the cyst so at the mo i,m not sure when i look up online says they are to do with the cyst.what symptons are you having 
    • Posted

hi debbie,  my main symptom initially was severe pain across my lower abdomen, this then moved lower and to the right as it settled. My gp thought it possible a UTI and gave me antibiotics but the test for this came back clear hence the diagnosis of suspected appendicitisblood tests showed signs of infection.  Having researched various sites I realised i also had other symptoms which I did not realise was related i.e. indigestion, fluctuating high temperature (for weeks!), stomach area seemed larger but as i am overweight anyway difficult to be sure (but we all know our own body), and taking an hour nap most days on return from work( i'm 44 not 64!)

was given codeine by sympathetic dr on 2nd visit to hosp, first day was not even given paracetamol (not that it helps when pain is bad) have swapped the codeine for cocodamol as I couldn't function on

codeine. back to work today and slept for 2hours when i got home

• Posted

My understanding is that once your cyst gets to 5cm it should come out.  I would go back to docs and make out your syptoms are getting worse, as it will take up to 3 months to get  an operation anyway.  Depends how long you want to put up with it for.
    • Posted

Depends, mine was non urgent/not really problomatic/mild symptoms conected to after it was found, and op date is only 7 wks after first saw them.
  • Posted

thanks dizzylizzie think i,m gonna go back the docs dont think i could handle another 8 wks of this pain plus getting pain in bottom of stomach now by groin area.i,d rather not have an op but i just so want to be pain free now x
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, do go back to your GP mine has been fantastic and I hadnt met her until this started.  my pain localised at the bottom of my stomach close to groin too, mostly towards right, but in a line across base.

been told today my CA125 has come back clear am mightily relieved!

I had to chase my results though, but eventually spoke with a lovely nurse on the assessment unit who wasnt there last week when I was but she found my results and listened to me and I was able to ask questions about my concerns.

I agree do not fancy an op but pain free life is important. Hope you are feeling better soon

• Posted

After chasing the hospital for my CA125 blood test results I have been told they are clear. Big sigh of relief!

And after pushing them I have been given follow up appt for 17th September so not too long to wait.

• Posted

Thank you

I have found comfort in reading responses from you and others and stories in other threads. Just to share with others in similar situations is good.

• Posted

Yes and that is why we are here. 

Sharing is caring

Big hugs xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.