Just diagnosed!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, my name is Debbie and I have just been diagnosed with Diverticulitis after a weekend spent at the hospital. There has been a diverticular shaped cloud hanging over me for about 18 months but it was eventually put down to stress related IBS until a big ole flare up last Friday. 

I consider myself lucky as the hospital ( after initially diagnosing food poisoning ) gave me blood tests, x ray and a ct scan which revealed naughty little infected pouches of agony.

I know that I'm appearing to take this lightly but actually I feel very distressed, I'm still in pain, my tummy looks like I'm 6 months gone and don't even get started on the dairrhoea - 

There seems to be so much information online I feel a bit overwhelmed - where do I start?

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you can navigate your way around these pages and comments (I have problems but then am not that computer literate I think!!) and follow the various conversations; you will pick up a lot of information from other sufferers who have learned the hard way what is best to eat/not eat etc. Eg to have a liquid and/or low fibre diet when inflamed; a high fibre diet when not inflamed. To avoid seeds; nut; grains; pips and skins of fruit, veg and pusles (they can get stuck in the pouches and fester away til the pain hits)and to avoid foods that you know give you wind like onions or sprouts. I have read on these pages to take a daily high dose Acidophilus tablet from Holland and Barrett and that has been helping me stay clear of attacks of infection. Others say to take Aloe Vera juice during times of inflammation as it helps settle the gut. Rest, rest and rest and lots of fluids (no not alcohol). The tips you will pick up from reading these pages will help you to live with this ghastly condition. The good news is that there are good times between bouts for most of us. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for this, I am reading lots on here that I think will help. I'm already eating soft uninspiring food and drinking loads of water and in the 18 months that this first started I have only had three flare ups but sometimes there is so much contradictory information on the web you get a little foggy!

I'm going on my annual holiday in 4 weeks time and I'm actually really worried about that - I like  a couple of cocktails in the evening and the lovely new food that you get to try sad plus I love to snorkel and I have absolutely no energy.

I can hear my inner voice telling me to stop moaning!!

• Posted

Medical advice is often sketchy. A pal with same condition was given a diet sheet....I have never been given one!! His said try alcohol with caution. I am not a drinker or booze so it does not worry me not to have it!!! He still had a beer now and then and is OK. Maybe come four weeks time you will feel brighter; and remember - if you were not there; the food would still be there!! Just stick to what you know you are safe with and ignore the rest. Not ruining your holiday for a yummy 30 second taste experience!!
    • Posted

Hi Christine, well, this is half the problem because at this stage I don't have any clue what triggers this off! I haven't had a flare up since this time last year but have been suffering with constipation for about two weeks so maybe with me it's less about the food and more about keeping hydrated and not getting bunged up sad .

Sorry if anyones offended by this! I do work in pharmacy so don't offend easily!!

• Posted

No offence. My GP prescribes orange Fybogel. A pal with same condition has laculose daily. Eat peeled plums etc; lots of "safe" veg and this should help; plus lots of water of course.
    • Posted

Hi Christine, I've just got back from the doctors and thats what he said - no insoluble fibre but laxido or fybogel or movicol!! YUK!!  I do feel a little better today and I think that a lot of the problems I'm now experiencing are antibiotic related.

• Posted

Hello Debs, I take my fybogel in a little diet cream soda or lemonade; drink it fast (or it turns to wallpaper paste!) then have some water to wash it down. It really is not that bad. I take a daily acidophilus in the mornings which I keep in the fridge as they should be kept cool. Yesterday was the first time I forgot and went out for the day - but fretted about it all day and took it the second that I got home!! Metronidozole tablets used to make me vomit; so I had to have the liquid which tastes vile - but now as long as I have a little something to eat along with the tablet; I am OK. If you have metronidozole tablets; don't take them without food and never drink alcohol while you are on a course as they really WILL make you very sick.
  • Posted

Hi Debs, sorry to hear that you are not feeling too much better right now but the best thing to do is rest as you will be incredibly stressed from what has just happened along with all the research you will need to do.  I think the recommendations above say it all - rest and get some sleep, keep to as much of a liquid diet as possible for 3-4 days to rest your gut and then slowly start eating again but using a low-fibre diet for another 2-3 weeks again to give your gut time to settle.  Then slowly reintroduce foods.  I think most of us have never been given any advice from the hospital or even been to a dietician so we are all learning off each other.  I think the one thing that we are all agreed on though is to take probiotics daily as high a dose as possible.  You need to get rid of the bad bacteria in your system.  If you are still on antibiotics then you may want to wait until you have finished your course but I think it has been a god send (when I remember to take them that is).  Anyway hope this helps!
    • Posted

Thank you Laura, the hospital were very good at letting me know all the possible outcomes but when I asked what can I do?? they said...nothing...there is nothing at all that you can do just when you get pain to go to the doctor for antibiotics.

This makes me feel completely powerless hencewise I'm on here!

I'm still on antibiotics for a couple more days but I think I will invest in some probiotics ( makes good sense anyway) for when they stop.

I have a doctors appt tomorrow so I'll report back with any information he gives me smile

• Posted

Those strong dose Acidophilus from Holland and Barrett have turned my life around..>!!! It HAS to be them as nothing else has changed. You can buy them on line if too poorly to go to town. You have just missed the buy one get one for a penny and the half price sale; but they come around fairly often. I started taking them while I was still on my last lot of antibiotics. they are expensive but there is no price on being pain free!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.