Just diagnosed with gallstones

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I have had three nasty biliary colic attacks and been put on a list for an operation.  Over the last 5 weeks I’ve been eating ice cream a lot so that’s not happening anymore. I have read loads and the suggestions are to eat low fat. I’m scared of getting infections and pancreatitis. Any advice would be so gratefully recieved. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya,

Try 0% or very low fat yogurt, lots of fruit, porridge with no fat or almond milk, home made soups, plain boiled rice etc. I know it sounds very boring but you hopefully won't get the attacks. Cutting out roast dinners, butter, fried food for a while should really help. This worked for me and I have stayed on this diet for the weeks following my op.

All the very best.

• Posted

Thank you. In my house we have the following

skimmed milk 

Half fat butter

Brown rice

Whole meal pasta 

I’m giving up ice cream and chocolate 

Going to Greece next week yikes 

Would you say these are ok? 

Coke Zero?

Salads

Couscous 

Fish (plain cooked)

Chicken (plain cooked)

Actifry potatoes 

Whole meal bread

Orange juice ice lollies

The registrar said today as much fat free and some exercise might help. 

• Posted

That sound all good although we are all different!! I just discovered by trial and error what I could eat. My only problem with eating out is that alot of salads come smothered with oil based dressings!! I am in no way a dietitian or Dr but had like many of us to find a way to live until surgery. All the very best.
  • Posted

I had to wait nearly 1 month for my operation.  I was having attacks for over a year and horrible heartburn for years before that.  What I did as per my docs advice, was to eat a very strict low fat, no junk diet.  This kept me from having attacks.  Also very small meals like 6 times a day.  Here is what I ate on a daily basis with some variation now and again:  breakfast - 1 slice of whole wheat toast with 1 tsp of real fruit spread (it will say real fruit NOT jelly and NO butter, just the fruit spread)  with coffee with creamer (coffee did not bother me but it does bother some people so you may or may not be able to tolerate this)  am snack - organic instant oatmeal made with water, coffee; lunch - either 1 cup of broth based soup, or 1 apple sliced with low fat pb mixed with honey  OR 1 egg scrambled using cooking spray and NOT butter, 1 slice of whole wheat toast with low fat pb and honey.  pm snack - low fat yogurt, vanilla with freshly sliced strawberries.  Dinner - VERY small amount of whatever I made for family or if it was something I could not tolerate I would have a lean cuisine (NOTHING with gravy or spice or tomatoes) or a small individual cup of Stouffer's mac and cheese or soup.  One thing I did was get a quart of my favorite chicken and rice soup from our local Chinese restaurant.  That I tolerated very well.  Oh and I drank water in between, then about an hour before bed I would have 2 graham crackers (they are low fat) and one cup of chamomile tea or sleepy time tea.  Over course of two months I lost 40 lbs following this diet and I felt awesome!  No junk food, no cookies, no chips, nothing fried or in grease.  No spicy stuff, stay away from tomato based stuff and no gravies or cream type stuff.  If you are craving ice cream try Lite and Fit vanilla yogurt with fresh fruit.  Also if you go out to eat check out the menu ahead of time to see what you can order.  Often you can adjust a dish to fit your needs.  For instance, my family went to Big Boy and I had a tough time figuring out what I could eat.  I ended up getting the chicken (which is grilled) from the caesar salad - not the salad itself because I could not tolerate lettuce - and I was able to eat that as well as the pita bread they serve with it.  I would follow this diet or one similar until you can have your surgery.  Once you have your gb out keep following the diet for a couple weeks then VERY gradually see what you can add back in.  But I will warn you.  If you go back to eating regular amounts of food or bad stuff you WILL gain the weight back very quickly and you will continue to have pain even though your gb is not there, plus suffer other nasty symptoms.  If you want to feel good and look great for the remainder of your life you need to follow a low fat diet with just occasional treats.  Trust me, I know all this from learning the hard way!  Good luck to you, the surgery itself is really not bad at all if it's laproscopic.  I hope my tips will help you!  

• Posted

Hi I think this is both UK and US but mainly US but dont quote me on that.  Usually there is in the address bar .uk or .com if its .com then it will be both.  I never checked when I signed upsad
    • Posted

I'm from Australia and found this forum by googling, it seemed to be the most suited to my needs.

• Posted

I think everyone is different. After my last attack that lasted 2 weeks, I'm eating pretty plain, but have started to widen the foods I'm eating. What works for me is bread products (toast, English muffins, crumpets etc), soups, pasta with a plain tomato sauce and vegies/fruit. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi I can empathise with your situation been a year with Gallbladder problems and recently had my operation 27 days ago. I found sticking to small meals little and often helped. Be careful with diary products, avoid anything fried spicy or rich sauces. 

I kept a record of what upset my stomach and made sure to avoid that food item. I drank lots of fruit juices and water. I found I got they dehydrated with the gallbladder stones. 

Don’t be worried to see your doctor if your not feeling well at any time and I also made sure I took regular pain medication which helped a lot. Be kind to yourself if you need rest make sure you do. I made sure I had regular blood tests to ensure no infection was starting up.  I had to do a low fat diet prior to the operation called the liver diet. This made it easier for them to access my gallbladder and avoid and complications after. 

I personally could not eat large meals, especially with Gaul stones. I found I could not eat large amounts of food! Although I have never been a big eater. 

I hope your operation is not too long in the future for you. Be kind to yourself rest when you can. Good luck 😉 Joanne 

• Posted

That’s good advice.  I live in the UK so I think it’s a bit different in some ways. I’m going to my Gp this week to see how they can support me. I use MyFitnessPal to record my food and I’ll definitely look up liver diet.  Like you I don’t eat large meals.  I’ve always been on a diet but never so motivated as now sad. I’m 5 2 height wise and 12 st 7 ish.  
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your message I’m in the UK too. It’s difficult to tell when your chatting to people on here. I ended up in hospital yesterday emergency admission stomach pains got worse. Waited over 5 hours last night to be finally seen, met some nice people at the hospital. Relieved I’m ok. Taking brufen instead and this has helped me way more. The Tramadol was causing me more problems. Recovering better today post op 20 days now. More soreness and feeling tender. But getting there. Really appreciate chatting to you and everyone on this website. It’s been quite a journey. any advice or tips just ask! Kind regards Joanne 
    • Posted

Hi fingers crossed for you to get the operation sooner than later. Make sure you look after yourself. Keep me posted message me anytime kind regards Joanne 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne. I have just discovered my severe pain is due to my gallbladder -waiting for blood test results and for a scan. I suffered horrendous pain for around 5 hours last night even after taking both Ibroprofen and paracetamol together and  almost resorted going to hospital. I couldn't relieve my pain for a second. Is there any tips you can give me.  I tried breathing exercises that I used during child birth,   hot water bottles ......,Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi so Sorry hear what you have been going through I really feel for you. I’m glad that you know what is causing you the pain. That is half the battle, if this occurs again and with this amount of pain. I would ring the paramedics to come out and take you to A and E. That way you will be seen quicker and pain management is crucial with Gallbladder problems and Stones. 

I had been on paracetamol and Codine I found these a lot better! But again seek professional medical advice for this. We all react differently to different medication. 

I kept a log of foods that irritated my gallbladder and avoided foods high in fat.  Eat little and often foods, that we’re low fat and tried to see what I could eat. Don’t over eat as well as this puts a lot of pressure on Gallbladder to produce more digestive bile to breakdown the foods so Foods high in fat. Will cause you more pain, make sure you get support from your GP and don’t feel guilty to seek help. From the doctors and hospital. Make sure you rest as fatigue plaid a big part for me with the pain. 

Once you have good pain management it will certainly help it’s not the cure but it’s a matter of practically. 

I hope this has helped a bit anything else just message me. Your not alone. Kind regards Joanne 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.