Just Frustrated

Posted , 4 users are following.

I guess I don't have a question or anything, reading all these posts has already been extremely valuable. I guess I just want to share my experience and my frustration. I'm on day 6 taking Fluoxetine. The doctor informed me that it would take more than four weeks for it to be effective but I felt like the first two days were great and I was hoping for a gradual increase to feeling better.  The second day was great, I was confident, sociable, and so productive at work. I wasn't trying to avoid eye contact with people as I walked by them, in fact, I was looking around to find people to greet because I was enjoying playing with my new mood. Work was great, I was getting excited about all the tasks I was going to be able to bust through. But now I just feel like I did before, I have no energy at work, I have trouble switching from one task to the other, I'm quick to tears. Now I'm feeling anxious because I'm worried it is going to get worse before it gets better. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Fluoxetine does seem to have some bad side effects unfortunately, I know how u feel as I feel like I'm not getting any better and this is my fourth week in, I started to feel a lot better during the first week and then went downhill again so they've increased my dose and now the side effects have started all over again, just keep reading on here that it does take a lot of time before u start to feel better and just to stick it out, there's going to be a lot of ups and downs while the medicine is getting into your system, if you don't feel any better after a couple of weeks tell your docter and maybe your dose can get increased, hope u feel better soon

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Nick/Jo

I have just had a bad day (felt like id been hit by a bus) but it was triggered by an event that really heightened my anxiety.

That was my 1st bad day for over a week.

Generally now, i am much better.

I have been on it for 9 weeks today (20mg for the first 5 weeks, now 40).

It was a long journey with many many bad days.

Sleeping and exercise help.

I am stronger now.

I am better than i was before the flu.

I did increase my dose (second wave of side effects).

Side effects now are starting to reduce.

Time and patience.

Stick with it if you possibly can.

Good luck to you both!

• Posted

This is a normal part of recovery - don't worry it will even out eventually.  Your mood will be up and down for a while - some hours, days or weeks feeling great followed by feeling low again.  It means the medication is working.  Don't rush to up your meds either, as you'll still need to go through this process.

Lots of patience and perseverance.  It took me 6 months, and even after that I still continued to improve.

K xx

• Posted

Today is a bad day but I don't think its the fluox. I got an email from an ex today and it completely destroyed me. It was really hard just getting up and getting to work. Now I can't do anything but read this forum or browse news articles. I just want to curl up in a little ball and wallow in the these depressing thoughts about dying alone. It seems like ever since I admitted to myself that I had a problem things have been worse, maybe because I am more aware of the pain. I start week two tomorrow hopefully I will start feeling better soon. Months to get an appointment with the doctor and now months for the drug to work. 

I've been trying to jog every day but I don't know if I can today, I just want to go home and climb in bed.

• Posted

Nick

I have setbacks.

I call them setbacks. They have the same effect on me as this did to you. They are the reasons my anxiety flares up.

The email from your ex seems to be similar to my setback events in its devastation.

When i have none for a few days my mood now improves almost exponentially.

When i have a setback i still crash badly - cant cope, just sleep.

Just now (on the meds), the crash is slightly less severe and doesnt last quite so long.

I am getting stronger slowly.

This week i have man flu, boy do i feel peed off!

Its a journey Nick - a crappy path, but a path to a better place. Keep going, dont stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.