Just Got Diagnosed with diverticulitis 28 years old

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm little shell shocked that i was diagnosed with diverticulitis when i went to er with stomach pain yesterday. I thought it was minor aches i just didnt feel too well throughout the day so i decided to go and with CT scan, doctor told me that. He discharged with 10 days of antibiotics and referral to see GI in about 2 weeks. Frankly, i am kinda of freaking out reading all the horrible things about it. I started on antibiotics yesterday, and been drinking water,jello, chicken broth and all. Feeling weak and all. I still dont know how to proceed further regarding diets and treatment. Once moment i was out going to school, working out , and having fun with friends and now it seems like i have serious condition. I still feel like im dreaming....god i hope it doesnt get worse or anything ...i worry about my mom, dad n all. They seems pretty clueless too. Any suggestion, advice is highly appreciated, i just dont wanna do something drastic or stupid.  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. It is a serious condition , but one that with a sensible diet , an be managed and lived with. I was diagnosed a long time ago, and went through a really bad time with at first, but I recently had my first flare up for over 5 years , and I know it's because I had been eating all the wrong things. There is plenty of advice on line as to what you should avoid eating and drinking , but please don't let this diagnosis frighten you. There are far worse things out there. I'm not going to pretend that a flare up is easy becsuse its not and csn male you feel bery poorly ,but as I say, managed well you can live a normal life. Good luck.

• Posted

thank u val for the reply .... so you re doing well with proper diet these days??? and if u dont mind me asking what is your age ? and with ur flare up how did u manage to get well? thanks again
    • Posted

Hi. I have been going through a flare up for two weeks now but I am slowly beginning to feel a little better. When it began I stuck to clear fluids only for 48hrs, a liquid diet for 4 days and gradually began introducing things like dry toast ,soup, mashed potato, dry crackers, . I also had anti biotics and anti spasmodic meds from my Dr. Because it had been so long since I had experienced a flare, I had let my diet slip and was eating all the wrong things, so now I'm going to go back to taking more care of what I eat. I'm 65 years old and was first diagnosed in my late 30's. I have been hospitalised 3 or 4 times with it in the past and had to undergo surgery on my last stay, but since then I've been relatively well until this latest episode. Hope this answers your questions.

• Posted

Hi

I've sent you a private very detailed message, and am in total agreement with val51376. 

• Posted

hey felinia, i dont know how to access to the message here. how do u do it? and thanks !
    • Posted

I think you managed it, and I've sent you another private message!

• Posted

Hello I’m 35 and I have just been diagnose this afternoon. I am feeling lost and scared. Have you gotten better since your first attack ? Please let me know I hate reading junk online. It just makes it worst. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.