Just got home after gall bladder surgery!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had keyhole surgery today to have gall bladder removed. It was a long day, but SO glad it's over! All went well. There was a delay for some reason. Surgery was suppose to be at 11;00, didn't go in until 12:30. The waiting was the hardest part! I was in a regular room getting prepped for 2 hours. Fortunately, my husband was in there with me. They took me to the "holding room" around noon. That's where the anesthesiologist talks to you, also my surgeon talked to me there as well. They gave me drugs to relax me. The next thing i knew, I woke up in recovery room. Doctor said it went really well, gb was not inflamed, just full of stones. They took me back to regular room. Walked a little in hallway. Got dressed and home sweet home! I'm sore by my incisions (I have 4). Stomach feels crampy. I'm really hungry so going to try something bland. Back hurts a little. Throat hurts too from oxygen tube. My pain is a 6 out of 10- 10 being worst. 

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wish you a good recovery and fix all your symptoms. Please do Post especially about your vertigo/dizziness is gone or not. Also on the bloating & burping at least after 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hi gogo, so pleased all went well for you.

I’ve just got home after hospital stay after first flare up and been told I have gallstones, had intravenous anti biotics as my gallbladder was inflamed and I’m home with a weeks worth of antibiotics

I’m not in pain anymore and have been told to watch my diet until I have operation which there is a waiting list for! My question is can I carry on with everyday life and work and watch what I eat or do I have to take it easy? Now I’m not in pain I feel fine but obviously don’t want another flare up or could this happen anytime anyway? Dr at hospital just said about my diet! My diet isn’t that bad anyway and I don’t smoke or drink but any advice you have would be gratefully received and was you careful with what you ate? Tia

• Posted

Hi Susan, My flareup happened while on vacation in Florida after a meal of crab legs with lots of butter and a bowl of creamy clam chowder. What was I thinking! That was Feb. 24th, I went to ER but was released and able to enjoy the rest of vacation. I was very careful about what I ate and did fine. I ate low-no fat meals. Smaller portions. My followup when I got home showed gall bladder was full of small stones and not functioning. They scheduled me for surgery April 11 (yesterday.) I went to California the week before for 10 days. I had no problems there. I was very careful to watch my diet. No fat. One night I ate some pasta that had sausage in it and that did not go very well. I was up all night with stomach ache but felt fine the next day. So you can definitely carry on with everyday life. I would watch what I eat and if you are someone that works out a lot, I would back off that somewhat too. Basically, the flare up I had in Florida was from a stone that got stuck in my bile duct, caused from the high fat meal I had. Dr said when I ate that meal, my non functioning gb was trying to release bile, but released a stone instead causing the attack. I felt fine the 6 weeks before my surgery, just by watching my diet. My diet has never been that bad either and I don't smoke. I have a glass of wine now and then, which didn't affect my gb . I ate a lot of chicken, turkey, fish, pasta, fresh vegetables and fruits. I cut back on sweets and dairy too. Hope this helps and I hope you get the surgery soon! Keep me updated! 

• Posted

Thank you gogo,  yes I’m definitely going to watch what I eat, I’m going to Italy in June so that’s going to be a challenge not being able to have lots of scrummy things there. 

My tummy makes so many noises after eating as well, guessing that’s normal ! 

• Posted

Hi, I’m in the UK and had a very similar experience to you at about the same time!

More discomfort today as the hospital meds have worn off and I’m trying to manage with prescription.  I am worried about two things really, (1) I keep forgetting not to pick things up, bend etc and (2) constipation- am taking tablets tonight.  I am so scared of affecting my internal stitches as every cough, laugh is so painful.

Saying all that, my operation experience was fabulous with anaesthetic done very well and care fantastic throughout. Gogo7498 hope you continue to do well 😃

• Posted

Day 3 after gall bladder removal. Feeling pretty good! The sore throat is gone. I had pain in my right shoulder when sitting up, that is gone as well. Incisions are still sore and it feels weird to sleep on my side. Still eating low fat but able to tolerate most foods. Still haven't had a BM. Picked up suppositories, going to try that. Walking around seems to help. So far, I'm very pleased with having the surgery. 

• Posted

In addition to pain , did you had bloating and burping symptoms before surgery? Are those gone? And what about the dizziness?
    • Posted

I did have some bloating and burping before surgery. I'm on day 6 after surgery and the bloating is better and no burping. I had a couple of dizzy spells but I feel they were due to laying around too long. I feel a lot better when I get up and walk around. The dizziness was different than the vertigo I experienced in January. Vertigo is  scary! The world is spinning and tilting and it could last up to 5 minutes! I haven't had vertigo for a while now, thank God! The dizziness is more tame, like when you get up too fast and it passes in a few seconds. I'm able to eat pretty much anything but I feel better eating smaller portions throughout the day. I only needed pain meds the evening after surgery and the next day. Incisions are still sore but nothing extreme. Hope you are doing well! Are you having the surgery?

• Posted

Thanks for the response. My main concern is the bloating,fullness feeling accompained by dizziness.I see my stomach is so much distended and i need to get relieve of the gas by burping, then it relieves the bloating. I work in a systems environment, moving around with a bloated stomach is very tough and makes me dizzy and very difficult to work and concentrate.I dont have severe pain in Gallbladder area,but a dull ache with pulling feeling.So wondering if these symptoms will go after GB removal or not and i really like to hear who had these symptoms before and how they feel after surgery.hence i'm still yet to give a date for my surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.