Just had my gastroscopy - confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my gastroscopy two weeks ago after going through ENT and then passed on to gastroenterology.  My symptoms have been sore throat, hoarse voice, build up of phelghm in throat, exhausted and feeling very unwell - I have felt like this for a year and a half.  

After the procedure had taken place the doctor gave me a printed report and asked what was my problem which I explained.  He showed me an image and told me that the entrance to my stomach was partially open and should have been closed - which is probably where the acid is coming from.  He also said it could be the start of ????? (sorry cannot remember what it was called).  After two weeks I went back to my GP who had received the report but the report said everything was normal in the gastroscopy with no mention of what the doctor at the hospital had told me.  I was told by my GP to contact the consultants secretary to see if the report contained any additional notes.  This I did but the report was also stating everything was normal.

There is no follow up appointment at the hospital.  

Can anyone please help as I have waited over a year already as to how this can be resolved?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The only advice can give to you is ring consultants Secretary explaining everything and if she could find out for you.
    • Posted

I already did this yesterday and she said I would have to be re-referred to the department - have a GP appointment this pm to request.

The doctor that conducted the endoscopy did not call it lower oesophageal sphincter, but the entrance to the stomach which I can only assume is the sphincter and possibly the beginning of Barretts as he pointed out that the area to one side of the opening had changed to a deep red colour possibly caused by the acid.

Thanks for your replies

• Posted

So the Gastroenterologist talked about a loose Lower Oesophageal Sphincter, and what could feasibly be / trigger Barrett's Oesophagus? Maybe? smile
    • Posted

I bet you are fit to be tied.  Join the gang...I had the endoscopy last Friday and it showed Barrett Esophagus.  Had Nissen Fundoplication Oct. of 2013, and now guess it's slipped and so much acid is going thru my body. I even feel the acid as it goes into my sinuses.  Dr. took many biopsies of the Barretts and results will be known within a week.  Want to go to Mayo Clinic for the redo surgery, but they don't accept HMOs so I don't what's going to happen.  Good luck to you..
  • Posted

Oh no, how frustrating for you. I agree on ringing the consultants secretary - I regularly do this with my sons consultants secretary , so I hope you have some joy and then the necessary treatment...Good Luck
  • Posted

Hi Marvey - when doctors talk to us straight after the procedure we are well and truly not at our best. I Reckon this is very unfair. Luckily I recently found a new gastro and yes he toooooooo talks whilst you are in recovery. But this guy ended up bring different in a very good way. As soon as he got the biopsy results he talked on the phone for 15 minutes. For this wonderful thoughtfull service be charged zilch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.