Just had PAE at UNC

Posted , 16 users are following.

I just had the PAE with Dr. Issacson today at UNC. I am only 35 years old. I am posting this because I feel truly blessed that I was able to have this procedure done and want to spread the word. I will update with my progress.

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thx awesome Chris, Mine is shedule for next week with Dr. Bagla. Looking forward to your updates.
    • Posted

Bagla uses a magellan robot does he not? My procedure took 3 hours (though it felt like 10 minutes) I'd be curious as to if my radiation exposure would have been less if it was done with robotic assist.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, I guess I didn't think about PAE using radiation. Of course it's not intended to reduce the size of the prostate, just to guide the doctor while he does the PAE. I wonder how much radiation is safe for the patient (and Doctor).
    • Posted

Bagla doesn't use a magellan robot...I'm here now and im having a PAE in 15 mins...I'll keep you posted.
  • Posted

Hi Chris, congratulations. Did you suffer from Ed due to your BPH? What were your symptoms what was your PSA reading? Look forward to hearing from you - Rob
    • Posted

Nope no ED although I'm hoping I'll get some added benefit in that department, which some people report. My issues were all urinary frequency and Nocturia. Never had a PSA reading cuz of my age and it's also falling out of fashion cuz it gives too many false positives.
  • Posted

I am excited to read this. I really hope that this procedure helps you. I am 31 years old and have been living with symptoms of BPH from age 19. I live in NC about four hours from Chapel Hill. I spoke briefly with Dr. issacson before and and I will be pursuing a PAE as soon as I can get some health insurance. Please keep us posted on your experience.
    • Posted

Hi. Insurance won't help you as its not covered. They have a great payment plan though. 6500 total with 20% down and the rest financed for free over 3 years. No credit check.
  • Posted

Looking fwd to your updates. I too am trying to decide on the"right" proceedure. BTW where are you at? I'm in St Louis Mo USA. Trying to find a good Dr to do the proceedure. I've turned up a couple but still have to research them. That takes time.

Anyway good luck.

• Posted

As far as I'm concerned PAE is the only right procedure, but everyone is different.
    • Posted

I wanted to do PAE and was making arrangements when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Now have to do something more extreme. Looking into HIFU. I have talked to Dr. Issacson and although others can do this procedure, I would travel to have him do the procedure.

Just a quick word of warning...The PAE procedure is thought to cause a non-aggressive cancer to become aggressive. So if there is any doubt, get screened for cancer before doing the PAE.

BTW, I don't live in St. Louis anymore but "I bleed blue" (since 1969)..maybe next year.

• Posted

If you could tell me about your research on the proceedure I would appreciate it. What sold you on the procedure. I hear about HoLep Surgery, Rezum,Urolift, Bipolar Turp, all confusing. I'm lucky to have come across this forum. Everyone is helpful and trying to help. You being 35 yrs old is amazing that you have BPH. I'm 74 and probably Medicare will cover it. 

Thanks again and good luck.

• Posted

I too am sorry to hear about the Cancer. Our prayers are with you.
    • Posted

I was sold on the reported effectiveness and lack of side effects. I would never consider any procedure that comes with any risk whatsoever of sexual side effects. I chose UNC because they are one of a few places in the country with the most experience. I was told that to date they have done it 105 times. Also the price is right. Just for comparison, Rio endovascular in Colorado, who isn't even involved in a clinical study, charges 13k, and they require it all up front. UNC is 6500 and they do free financing.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated. I'm still watching and researching. My condition is not serious...yet.  However I know it's just around the corner so I want to be forwarned and forarmed. I guess that's how it's said. Anyway, you and everyone else on this forum has been a godsend.

Thanks again.

Dubby 

• Posted

No worries good news is by the time you get it done it will likely be covered by all insurance.
    • Posted

what is the source of this info the PAE is causing non aggressive cancer to become aggresive?, and o how  do you deal with this situation, I am Gleason 6 with only 10% in one core and on the active survellance and I am considering PA, but also concern about hight doze of radiotaion that may preclude any furure radiation treatment for cancer if I ever need one
    • Posted

Andrze,

It was a while ago on this forum that someone posted the info as a reply to me. I could try to find it but might take a while. Basically the theory is cutting off the oxygen causes the tumors to go into a survival mode and start reproducing aggressively. (I am not a doctor or scientists so I may not be relaying the information correctly). When I told Dr. Isaacson I had just been diagnosed with cancer he said they would not do the PAE on me for concern it could make my Cancer become aggressive.

I will not do radiation therapy (with the possible exception of "Proton" therapy, but only as a last resort) and also trying to avoid a prostatectomy. The best procedure that I have found (For me) is HIFU. There is no radiation and the procedure can be repeated (if necessary) down the road. Does not disqualify me from any other procedures if needed and is even able to be performed on patients who's cancer has come back after radiation treatment. Also, there does not seem to be any long-term side effects. (Although they only have results for a little over 12 years).

• Posted

ES28567,

I wonder if others like Bagla and Pisco feel the same on treating cancer patients? If PAE not for you what are your alternatives? I am currently not planning any cancer treatment as I am v.low risk, at least for time being, but if need to will consider FLA

• Posted

I can not speak for the doctors you mention. All I can say is if there is a chance PAE can cause cancer to become aggressive, then I will avoid it. I am in a similar situation as you and can delay cancer treatment but keep in mind that cancer is easier to treat in the earlier stages, you have more options for treatment, and the cure rate is higher in the earlier stages. Also, if you do active surveillance, then it is recommended that you have a biopsy about every 18 months...NO Thanks!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I feel the best option for me is the HIFU procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.