Just hope and pray that one day I will be happy again

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the group, I am aged 47 years old and had hysterectomy 19 years ago.  For 2 years I have been feeling unwell, strange niggles, cramps, varied mood swings, anger, frustration.  Weird dreams so real that I cant tell the difference between what is real and what is the dream.  this doesnt make life very easy for me as the dreams can be me taking a parcel to a department at work and then weeks later the department asks about the parcel and i say that I took it but it has never actually arrived. dreaming of conversations that havent happened.  Anxiety when having to go somewhere on my own.  Wanting to eat all the time, waking very early in the mornings and then not being able to function properly during the day.  The other morning my husband came in from nights and after looking around for the source of a funny smell found that the iron had been left on all night and it was sited next to the microwave and sodastreem machine.  I was lucky i hadnt burnt the house down.  I am so short tempered with everyone and feel as though i have to defend myself in everything I do or say.  Since the doctor prescribed me with Premarin (5 weeks on) I do feel slightly better as in I am no longer thinking of just walking out of the door and taking that step towards the big blue sky.....  Are these feelings normal?  Is there anything that I can take along side of the prescription that will help with the moods, my husband is a saint....  I wouldnt put up with me like I am now.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello gailadi and welcome. You have been having the most horrendous time but what you describe is part and parcel of the menopause although extreme in some cases. I would carry on with Premarin. I think things will gradually improve. You sound a bit depressed as well. The Premarin should help that as well. As for your husband being a saint. Many are when we are menopausal but remember the vows in sickness and in health lol
    • Posted

Hi Matron, thank you for the quick response.  I dont  know if it is depression or the menopause, I have been depressed in the past and it doesnt feel the same as I do now.  It is strange, I used to be so happy go lucky up for a laugh.  Now I want to go out but cant decide on what I want to do, or go.   If I do go out I can be having a good time and then its like a switch, something will be done or said and thats it my black mood comes back.  i come home and sleep for a couple of hours and then seem to be ok for a short while!  Its driving me mad.  The worst part though is the tricks my mind is playing on me, I dream conversations or actual happenings (some of them not nice) and think that they are real.  The conversations are usually to do with work and I think that i have done a job so dont do it, only to find out later that I hadnt done what I was supposed to have done at all.  Its very tiring as most of the time now i am just doubling my work load to ensure i dont miss anything
    • Posted

Hello again. The dreams could be due to the menopause. I'm gradually reducing my HRT and I have nightmares. Again vivid and sometimes frightening. Lack of concentration and forgetfulness is common. You will get a lot of lovely supportive ladies replying to you here so you'll get lots of support and help. It becomes addictive. Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know) and give the Premarin time to work.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, how long have you been on HRT?
    • Posted

Since 1991 when I had a hystoand my ovaries removed. I'm now 61
    • Posted

I know I'm the same, the kids dont understand my texts, they say it takes them ages to work out what I am saying...  61 and only just coming off of HRT, is that the norm?  how long does the menopause last for.  I was thinking I have been going through it for the last 2 years I think, dr said I was just under on my bloods 2 years ago but am in the bracket now.  Didnt quite understand what he was saying but thought that I would be ok in another year maybe??  I am lucky in the fact that I dont have the periods that the other ladies on here have.  I dont seem to have the flushes like I used to anymore either, although I didnt have them every day before, just every now and again.  Maybe once or twice a month on a night i would wake up drenched in sweat too but that also seems to have gone away now.  Could be the HRT. 
    • Posted

I know I've been on HRT for years but so have a lot of women I know. When I started to take it I was 38 and my gynaecologist and GP felt that as I was depressed and having menopausal symptoms I should take it. It was known then to prevent osteoporosis and thought it prevented heart disease. Trouble is they thought then that you took it and when you came off it you wouldn't have menopausal symptoms. We know now it's not the case. I had a GP who would prescribe it but he's now retired so I'm having to gradually reduce it and I'm menopausal.
  • Posted

this is a stab in the dark but when you had your hysterectomy , did they leave your o

varies in.

if so maybe you are going through menopause.

i remember having wierd dreams and i would go shopping, leave the keys in the car door and generally be very 'dippy'.

i even threw the chip pan away as i realised it was a liability.

does all this ring a bell for you?

it was a long time ago for me but i think HRT sorted me out.

i am not reccommending HRT to you as you pay the consequences in the end with them.

but there is a lot to be said for living for today.

i wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.