Just posted little while ago about prostate surgery that Didn't help.

Posted , 10 users are following.

My question now though is , since I can't pee very good after a month , has anyone started taking Flowmax after surgery to see if it helps. Or would that be inadvisable. Can't talk to my doctor for 2 weeks. So I was thinking of taking Flowmax until I can talk to him. Looks like I may end up having another surgery or at least a cystoscopy to find out why I'm having trouble. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It takes more than a month for surgery to help depending on which surgery. I don't see why Flomax would hurt except that it causes floppy iris syndrome so if you've never taken flomax try something else, self catheterization or a different medication. I suggest go to a GP if you can't see your Urologist.

• Posted

If you were on flomax before I don't see the harm on going on it again. Depending on how much is coming out I would not wait two weeks to find out if I was retaining too much urine. If you can't see your doctor, ask if you can come in and have the nurse give you a bladder scan. If they won't do that I would have a bladder scan elsewhere. What you do not want is to be in significant retention after your procedure. If you are, and if the Flomax doesn't help, then you will need either a Foley, Suprapubic or have to learn how to self cath. But before you can make any decisions you really have to get your bladder scanned ASAP to see what you are dealing with.

Jim

• Posted

Gonna call him Tuesday and see when I can come in. If I go to a new doc I'm pretty sure I'd have make a first time appointment probably 2 weeks down the road. So I'll call my doc first. Don't feel like my bladder isn't emptying though. Feels like it does empty , just take forever. Doesn't stop and go , just goes slow.

• Posted

Jessie like the other guys are saying were you on Flomax before you had the surgery.  If you take it it will help your bladder.  You don't say anything about any test before you had you surgery.  So you had a TURP  It does take longer for some men to heal but if it does not work in a few week your prostate may not have been the problem.  What type of test did you have if any and were you offered any other procedure.  Your doctor should be able to help you.  You should not have to want  Ken

• Posted

Had a CT scan which showed the enlarged prostate. But I already knew that for the past year. Didn't get anything done though because I had several other health issues I was taking care of. Started 1 1/2 years ago with H-PYLORI. Took some time to cute that with antibiotics and all sorts of tests. Still not completely over that. Anyway finally got well enough for the prostate surgery. He did another rectal exam , cystoscopy and flow test. The flow test registered 8. So he scheduled the surgery. First he offered the Urolift though. I Didn't want to stay on Flowmax and decided the Urolift Hasn't been around long enough yet to know how long it was good for.

• Posted

Jessie it's to late now I was on flowmax and rapaflo before I had my UROLIFT  It's over 3 years now and still open.  Took no pills after the surgery.  It's been around over 5 years.  Just because TURP been around so long does not mean it was the right one for you.  Good luck hope you get better  Ken 

• Posted

Thanks Ken. It was a toss up for me. The first TURP I had , 7 yrs ago was great. Every time I've ever tried anything new , it never worked. So I Didn't take the chance. I happened to be the first in Texas to have heart bypass with the Di Vinci robot. Still paying for the nerve damage that was done. That's why I decided on TURP. Funny , since my first post today , I just had the best pee to date since my surgery. Hope it stays like this.

• Posted

Jessie  I can't believe that your prostate grow that much in 7 years that they had to do another.  Maybe things will get better for you I hope  Ken

• Posted

Yup. It did. First time though was different though. It expanded up into my bladder, not outward. Just shaved off the top part. I think this one may work though. For so.e reason I've done really good tonight. First time I've been able to pee this good since the operation. Who knows ??

• Posted

I have had two TURP  in my life and day three  I was like A hose pipe  both times 
  • Posted

I have had 2 TURP  in my life and by day three I was like A hose pipe
    • Posted

This was my second. Had one 7 years ago and it was great. This one , not so great. Maybe it has something to do with age !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.