Just recently found out. Just a question

Posted , 4 users are following.

So recently found out i have macular degeneration, but dont know much details just yet. Looking up stuff to learn more about it. 

1st timer here, so sorry if my writing is so slopply.

Got my 1st Injection in my left eye, my vision seems to be blurrier then before i had the treatment is dis normal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I am afraid that I cannot be of any help as it is my mother who is the sufferer. She also has the other form of AMD which cannot be treated with injections. Sorry but I hope that your question finds a lot of informed people.
  • Posted

I have lots of experience as an eye surgeon but it is hard to advise without knowing lots of details including visual acuity, OCT, fluorescein angiography.  These anti-VEGF injections used to treat wet AMD have transformed the prognosis and some patients have improved vision, however the basic idea is that they MAINTAIN vision. Some of my patients have had over 50 injections over more than 6 years and enjoy excellent eyesight!

After any injection the vision drops immediately but should be back to "usual" the next day. If the vision is going to improve you might see a slight benefit at 2 weeks.  Having made a decision to treat I would normally give 3 injections at 4 weekly intervals and if the vision is not better at 3 months consider stopping or switching to another drug. There are 3 similar drugs all working the same way and the clinical differences are negligible even though the cost varies considerably. Avastin £40, Lucentis £600, Eylea £600.  Avastin is cheap because it is unlicensed for ophthalmic use.

Over time the response to your treatment will become clear.  No point continuing if it is not helping.  Regular checks are essential to assess.  If your vision is already very poor (say counting fingers) it may not be possible to improve your vision.  Good luck and be positive.

• Posted

If I were you, I'd join The Macular Society. They're great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.