Just Started Cit

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been prescribed Citalopram, but put off taking it for a couple of days whilst I read up on it.  Decided to start this morning since I'm off work for 2 weeks to allow any side-effects to abate slightly before returning.

I'm going to record my side-effects as they come and go, in case it helps others.

Prescription is 20mg - one a day

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

1st tablet taken at 8:00am, along with toast and decaf tea for breakfast.

slightly baggy head by 10:30

Tingly lips by 11:00 - feels very similar to the effect I used to get when donating platelets

Not hungry at 1pm - might be due to eating too much yesterday

• Posted

Hi,

I am on day 29 of taking Cit 20mg for anxiety, been really lucky so far with few side effects. Had a dry mouth and slight nausea for the first week. Although I do feel less anxious, I still get quite anxious when anywhere busy so I'm hoping this settles down soon. Hoping to go back to work next week as I was signed off for three weeks to get used to the cit.

• Posted

I tried to come off 10mg which I had taken for 18 months for anxiety. I was down to 5mg every 3 days, but couldn't cope. I started 10mg daily from Thursday and feel so sick in the mornings, lots of headaches too. 20mg seems a high dose to start off with. I'm going to go up to 20mg gradually GP said start with 10mg.
  • Posted

Hi saftlad

Great idea recording your progress.  Even after the side effects ease off it may be quite a while before you feel the full benefit of this meds.  Good luck and look forward to following your reports xxxxx

• Posted

Thanks Kate 👍🏻

Day 1 -3pm - headache starting to make itself felt now

• Posted

Took my first dose today as well. I've been putting it off for ages in the hope that things would change. Oh well here goes!!
  • Posted

Overnight - ok.

Tinnitus apparent once in bed - perhaps that's just the sound of the universe.

Had to get up a couple of times for toilet - unusual.

Bad headache this morning.

Going for a long (100miles) bike ride today, see how the body reacts.

• Posted

You are brave to do such a long bike ride, I couldn't do one feeling like this! Good luck x
    • Posted

Exercise is such an important part of recovery too.  Hope the cycling goes well.
  • Posted

Welcome Saftlad,

I am now on 40mg, been here sine November from which time I gradually increased by 10mg a month (roughly). Doctor (fortunately, who knows about Cita, side effects etc.,) has been fantastic (so has me Fiancee) and says in 3 months time she'll look, if I am basically ready, to reducing me gradually.

I also have kept a log and as some here will bear witness joined this forum and give thanks I did. I have been on about the slightest of things or read something and followed a discussion others were similarly going through, it has been a great help (possibly, along with others) a life saver!

Keep in there Dude and keep up the comms!

Regards,

David

• Posted

The ride went surprisingly well. It cleared my headache and I didn't notice any lack of performance compared to my usual output.

Had a brief tummy ache but a bottle of fizzy water seemed to settle that.

No other side-effects apparent at this time.  Appetite normal

• Posted

Still sleeping ok overnight.

Day 3 - headache returned approx 1hr after taking the tablet.  No other issues

• Posted

Felt hot going to bed last night, might just be the current weather.

Day 4 - still feel fine during the day.  Headache and queasiness comes after taking the tablet.  Sickness passes after an hour or so, but the headache remains throughout the day.

• Posted

Interesting reading.

I overheat when I'm asleep.  Sometimes it wakes me up.  The headache is quite common, and the nausea too.  It should ease after a couple of weeks.

Wish I'd kept a daily log when I started.

• Posted

Thanks Kate.  I'm not too worried about the headaches, I've suffered from them before, but I know others may be more affected.  

So far, I think I've gotten off quite lightly with the effects, but I'm not counting any chickens just yet.  Reading about others experiences, it sometimes doesn't hit you until the second week.

if it stays like this, then I hope it provides a useful counterpoint to some of the more extreme accounts of the side-effects, and might help people who are unsure whether to start the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.