Just started Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had anxiety for 10 years without any help, just kept my mouth shut and dealt with it the best way I could. It did effect massive things in my life, relationships, jobs, my CBT and driving test but I managed just. I now live alone, I work in a high pressured job with some just lazy nasty people which has really made it 10* worse.

Yesterday I was brave and did the toughest thing I have ever done. I went to the doctors, fully anxious and asked for help. He didn't laugh at me or fob me off. He tried to understand and admitted it's a tough thing for them to try and assist with but said he wanted to start me off with citalopram 10mg at night. I took my first one last night and admit apart from feeling sick, shaky and just a little strange I don't think there is masses of difference yet. (Headaches and no sleep the normal)

I also have to speak to a counselor to get to the cause of everything but just with the diagnosis I feel relief!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have been suffering in silence for so long.  It is one of the hardest things having to admit you need help, but it requires a lot of strength.

This treatment takes time to work.  I experienced side-effects when i first started on Citalopram 6 weeks ago but they generally only last 2-3 weeks.  They made me feel very sleepy initially and this was the last side-effect to subside. It took 3-4 weeks, but full recovery takes longer and varies for different people.  It's definately worth sticking with - it has made me feel so much better.

Good luck 

• Posted

Oh wow, how on earth have you coped for 10 years with anxiety?  You must be a very strong person. All I can say is well done!  And also well done for going to,the docs, you shouldn't have to suffer any longer.

ive been suffering for only 2 months and wake up,with anxiety. All over a health scare which was fine.  Just can't get rid of this anxiety all day every day.  I'm on citalopram too, just been upped to 30mg.  Doc thinks it may be peri menopause...great!

i had all sorts of side effects in start up but they do ease. Some people have none at all x

• Posted

Hi,

If you've been anxious for 10 years with no help then you've done the hardest part.

It's taken you a long time so it ain't gonna be quick! Recovery is a long journey but is so worth it.

Just try to stay with the citalopram and be easy on yourself. All I could do was sit on the bed and cry. For a long time.

Sounds like you have a good doctor!

This forum is fantastic!

• Posted

Like you, I had it for 16 years and though I took anti depressants I kept quiet too as couldn't talk to anyone about it.

I was put onto these meds (back in the 1990's) and within 6 months I'd recovered and stayed well since.

These meds do heighten anxiety at first but eases after a few weeks. Give it time and don't try and rush towards recovery - they work slow and you may not even see yourself improving gut a while yet.

I'll send you a link via private message too.

K x

• Posted

Hi katekogs

Been trying to find your posts as a lot of people on this forum find your posts very helpful and your advice is brilliant. Would it be possible to private message you in regards to my anxiety? I understand if you would rather I didn't as I don't want to hound you lol x

• Posted

Hi Claire

Of course I don't mind - lots of people private message me.  Only too glad to help.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.