Just started Citalopram best taken morning or night?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive just started 10mg for anxiety on day 4 & feeling dreadful!

(shakey,no energy,spaced out, terrible night sweats)

Been taking it in a morning but have friends on it who say its

better taken at night? Any advice would be grateful I'm back to

work tomorrow & need to be able to function!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took in morning and still had same, and grinding teeth, stopped after 4 days :-( awfull. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Pud. I've been on Cit since February and started out with 10mg too. I had the same side effects when I first started along with others such a jaw clenching. I take my tablet before bed as when I have taken it in the morning I feel sleepy within a couple of hours. Also you may find, as I did, that by taking it at night you sleep through the worst of the side effects. The side effects should gradually wear off, the worse ones stopped by around day 8 for me. Keep going with them though, they have made a massive difference to my life and I'm so glad I struggled through the nasty side effects.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice im going to take it tonight instead of

this morning & hope i can get up for work!!

• Posted

Hello mate,

I take mine in the morning with no problems but my son who also takes cit has to take it at night. He finds he sleeps better this way.

Definitely worth putting up with any side effects. They do wear off after a couple of and both myself and my son are much better.

Hope it works for you.

• Posted

My Dr suggested I take my cit at night as it could help with sleep - I tried this and it didn't so I have stuck to taking it around breakfast time but I know that it does help some people. It's often worth trying and just persist until you find the right time for you as everybody is different. Good luck x
    • Posted

Many thanks for your comment, I've tried it at night & never

slept felt terrible! So back to mornings for me. my friends on it & she said I have to hang on in there & ride out the side effect.

It baffles me how a drug designed to relieve anxiety actually makes you feel 100 times worse!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.