Just started Citralopram, is what im feeling normal?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

Today my doctor put me on Citralopram 20mg for anxiety. Shortly after noon, i had the first one. At first i felt much better. I felt like my old self, but this was relatively short lived. I went to sleep for a few hours ad i had been awake all night with anxious thoughts and pains. After I woke up, i felt so cold. I am shaking, but not shaking at the same time. Its like my inside is shaking violetly. I know that doesnt sound very well described, but i cant think of another way to put it.

Also my pupils are 100% dilated, there is hardly and iris left.

I dont feel as anxious as i have been but there is certainly a hint of it around.

Has anyone else had this reaction on thier first attempt?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

What your describing sounds like perfectly normal side effects,I nearly stopped taking mine after just a few days because they made me feel worse but I hung on in there and I must say all side effects have subsided which took roughly 2 weeks,hope they work well for you.Take care x

• Posted

I started on 5mg and then increasing to 10mg after two weeks and then 15mg after another two weeks etc. Until I was on 20mg. I felt rubbish on the day I increased but otherwise ok. Good luck. Go to your doctor and discuss this. Pharmacist also has lots of experience.
  • Posted

I've been prescribed citalopram 10mg 5 days ago for panic attacks, I'm having major issues from it though, my panic attacks have increased dramatically and i always feel anxious, which I've never felt before, from the moment i wake up until my last panic attack finishes at 5am....I'm almost always depressed, which i didn't suffer from before, i get the headaches in the morning, chest pains, violent body tremors, I've completely lost my appetite and constantly feel sick....please someone tell me this gets better because i feel like I'm loosing my mind from lack of sleep, constant nervousness and the repeat panic attacks every day, I'm seriously thinking of packing in the citalopram......its more than i can handle!!!
  • Posted

Please see your doctor asap Danielle. That sounds too much to bear.
  • Posted

Well went to see my doctor, and after a firm talking to she swapped me from citalopram 10mg to Venlafaxine 37.5mg twice a day on Monday the 3rd of March although i will admit the side effects aren't half as bad, in fact no depression at all !!! But unfortunately i started having panic attacks through the day, and I'm talking about calming down from one and within 5 minutes starting another, i started with uncontrollable hysteria, had the paramedics out a few times from being unable to calm myself down, super hyperventilation, even started banging my head off of things causing bruising, again it got to the point where i wasn't getting a wink of sleep, panic attacks 5 minutes apart but lasting hours on end.....finally got an emergency appointment with the doctor, ended up having 2 panic attacks on the way up there and having one in the doctors office, forcing me to request a private room where the hysterics kicked in, which continued whilst it came time for me to see the doctor.....safe to say he was surprised to see someone walk into his office in the state i was in.......bearing in mind it was a different doctor that's been seeing me about my panic attacks since i decides to ask for help.... trying to tell him what was up with me was near impossible through the tears and sobs, but eventually i got it all out and explained my predicament.........i now love this doctor for 2 reasons, 1: He didn't just tell me tuff and to persevere with the tablets, and 2: He gave me Diazepam to help keep me calm and Propranolol (Beta Blockers) to take when i start to feel anxious (to slow my heart rate down) ...... Now i will admit i may still have 1 or 2 mild panic attacks a day, but it sure as hell beats the 15+ I've been having for the past week every day.

Then to top it all off my CBT has come through and i start on the 26th March which I'm looking forward to more than anything in the world......

I'm finally on the road to recovery and i couldn't be more over the moon.

Just shows what someone listening to you and giving the right support can do.....i finally feel one day i can do all the things i want to do without fear of having a panic attack and i can tell you now it feels bloody fantastic xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.