Just started HRT and I'm having a full blown period!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 54 and haven't had a period for over a year. After trying various alternatives with absolutely no success my menopausal symptoms (namely lack of sleep, anxiety, depression, night sweats) were so bad that three weeks ago I started HRT (Premique - combined pill). On Friday I started bleeding and its turned into a full blown period - I've had to raid my daughters drawers for tampons and pads!  Is  this is normal?  Surely not!  Can anyone help? I'm quite alarmed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kathryn this is very normal to have bleeding after starting HRT, it should settle within a few months but if it's combined HRT you should have a bleed every month

Try not to worry

Love

Brenda x

• Posted

Well I don't know if it is normal or not, but the same thing happened to me. I have cysts and fibroids and think that might have something to do with it. Bloomin' annoying isn't it? The one good thing about the Menopause is no more periods - and associated misery, and then this happens!

I have started taking Vit D and Magnesium with B6 (both of which we are all probably deficient) and more recently a herbal supplement with Hibiscus, Soy and Vervain. My hot flushes are down to an occasional warm glow, so that's an improvement.biggrin

• Posted

Hi Kathryn , this happens with HRT ,but if concerned go have a chat with your Dr who issued HRT ,I've just been given Low dose of Indivina 1mg ,Im 20 yrs in post meno , Dr said expect a show ,Im on day 11 , so far no show , maybe to the low dose . I was given Ovestin about 4yrs ago cream.that didn't help at all ,so now on this tablet . Id go see your Dr for sure ,better than worrying . Maybe need a different HRT ? Im hoping this one Im on kicks in soon . Miserable menopause it is . I've had a dry mouth for 10 yrs with it to ,plus I've got autoimmune ,food allergies ,had private bloods done to confirm what Im allergic to . IBS and Tinnitus ,all down to hormones . Your be okay ,just need it looking at . Go to a female Dr always ,in your age bracket or older . Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Kathryn,

I'm on a different kind of HRT, but I get a period every month.

I was told by my doctor that some women who are post do and some don't.

I'm just coming up to six months on it they seem to be getting lighter each month, the first month in particular was rather heavy.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn - commenced 3rd hrt med - Femoston Conti a month ago and had a bleed - has finished now not as heavy as with Kliogest and Tiberlone (Livial) both of which I loved but had to cease due to heavy non stop bleedingsmile give it some time

Louismile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.