just started my 16th week on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

still have bad days, but no way as bad as they used to be, how long before im 100% better,does it take longer with some people

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello john, i think it takes longer for most people. The 6 to 8 weeks qouted by doctors is misleading. You should experience some improvements by then, but nothing like a recovery. I didnt start to improve until week 9. Improvements were intermittant, and didnt become more consistant until about week 13. Im on week 18 now, could be regarded as recovered, but im still improving. If you are satisfied with where you are now, and still feel you are improving, then carry on. If not, perhaps a dose increase may be required. Some people on here talk about 6 months to recover. I didnt believe this myself, but can see it being the case, based on my own experience.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi john,, i was on citrolopram for 8 years and i can tell you that the minimum time period  could be 4/6 months.The ssri needs to build up in your system .
    Report Reply
    • Posted

You are so right about ssris and snris. They take ages to work. Doctors and gps should be talking about 6 to 8 weeks for signs of improvement, not recovery. I wonder if the older anti depressants were quicker acting, and it affects the information they give out. Didnt notice my first improvements until 9 weeks. Felt much better at 14 weeks, and am still improving at 18 weeks. I saw experienced people on here talking about 6 months for a recovery, and scoffed at the idea. It looks more like the truth to me now. They do work well when they get going.
      Report Reply
  • Posted

Hey everybody, 

Nigel I was the same as thinking 6 months to recover I didn’t want to believe it and I was afraid what if this drug doesn’t work for me. I kept a journal which I’m glad I did I really noticed a huge final lift of my anxiety in the end of July. I also look back and see I was a Huge Hot Mess. I was actually also depressed . I’m so elated I found this forum and this drug. And I stayed at 10mg.  I was going to give up several times but I stayed with it. 🙏🏻🙏🏻👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Everybody have a great day!

Will😎

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up