Just started my first ever batch, any advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys, 

26-year-old dude living in London, finally decided that after my best attempts (meditation, exercise, healthy lifestyle, reading all literature) I needed some additional help. 

Took my first Citalopram this morning (19/08/15) and wondering if anyone ha some advice, tips or general hand holding as I heard it can be rough. 

Cheers all

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I to had a big problem admitting i was poorly. I finally gave in and started on 20mg. After 6 Months i feel good. It is only now i realise how rough i was. I am cool and calm. My biggest worry now is when they ask me to come of them. Cross that bridge later. I was lucky. Very few side effects when i first started. Just lack a bit of 'go' now. I take mine at night. Works for me. This forum was a big help to me.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Ta

• Posted

Hey Terry!

Same, I could admit it to myself but never thought I needed any additional help (see above for non-medical cures I tried).

That's what I need for my job. Cool and calm. I manage strategy at a company and operating with high-level concepts then going to tactical stuff and back can't have a depressed and anxious guy at the helm.

Side effects are pretty much non-existent for me.

By 'lack a bit of go', do you mean enthusiasm? For tasks or life in general?

• Posted

Hi Terry

You can stay on this medication for life if you want to.  They're not addictive, and if they help you stay on an even keel, then why not.  People are on lifelong meds for all other ailments, so depression is no different.

The decision will be yours at the end of the day.

When I got better, I eventually reduced my meds to a dose I found I could maintain my wellness on.  That's an option too.

Often though, the longer you're on medication and eventually come off, the less likely the depression is likely to return.  That's what I've read anyway ;-)

I have also spoken many times on this site about 5-HTP and l-tyrosine which are bought over the counter meds.  5-HTP is a natural SSRI and it's something to look at IF you decide to come off meds one day.  Food for thought.

Glad to hear of your success on Citalopram.  It's great isn't it! biggrin

• Posted

Hey Partridge,

Welcome to the Club! Rough it may be or may not, no one can say as everyone is an individual. One thing on your road to recovery is that you have accepted help, you have found this site and I recommend you stick with this "sticking plaster for the brain".

Hopefully you have a Doc that understands this medication and is supportive throughout. You will soon know if your Doc does or not by the advice you will find here. I suggest you listen to katecogs as a guide to all other advice. She definitely knows what she is talking about. I am fortunate that my Doc is all clued up on Cita, though as after all they are General Practitioners, not all are. So, be wary of any "stop" "start" advice as you need to get through the side effects without having to deal with withdrawal too soon.

The side effects are many and varied, but this is not to say you will experience them all or to what intensity you will either. Amongst most of the usual I also suffered a little health paranoia which my Doc reassured me about by giving me a full male health check up, including ECG.

I could wittle on about side effects (SE), but who knows you may imagine some that aren't there! The important thing is you are here, you are not alone and if you have a partner or someone close it is a good idea that they also get involved as it will help them appreciate, possibly understand what you are going through. I have an Ann and it certainly has helped her understand and in turn to help me.

Most advice here is safe and some, although a llittle wacky do no harm, just cost in time and money - only noticeable if it is a waste of either.

Vitamins D3 and B6 are a good help with the serotonin levels throughout and of course no one can tell you how long you will be on the road to recovery. Exercise is good, duh! we know this, but worth reminding ourselves although Cita does cause hightened anxiety, whether you have it or not (to be able to treat it), panic attacks may also occur so you may not wish to go out for a while or where there are too many people. This is nothing to worry about, just one of the SE you may or may not suffer. Darn, I said I wouldn't wittle on about SE!

DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR MEDS!

We take Cita at different times of the day as a change can be beneficial to the individual, most of us have changed to another time of day to suit, as opposed to first thing in the morn. You will decide which time is best as you progress. If you forget to take at the usual time, take as soon as you remember. Once Cita is in your system (basically from day one) you must not just stop taking them or man you'll have withdrawl worse than the SE on the way up!

I have been here 9 months, due to work related stress, and levelled out on  40mg. Not everyone goes this high. What has been the biggest part of my own help in my own recovery is that I have put that which made me ill far behind me now. I have stopped smoking, nearly a year, and become a veggie, a welcome challenge as I love to cook. My alcohol consumption has dropped to just a few bottles of ale at the weekend, well after all, "everything in moderation, even moderation itself!"

I recently tried to reduce, but my timing was wrong and the amount I dropped was by 10mg every other night when I realise it should have been 5mg (ie 40mg one night 35mg (adjusted) the next on a trial basis for a fortnight) with Family visiting and then having dental problems that needed hospital treatment it all went Pete Tong. Withdrawal hit me and it has taken roughly two months to "grab the oars and get back in control again"

Yep, it can be a rough old ride, but you are not alone!

Keep visiting daily, keep reading and keep posting no matter how insignificant your question may be. Maybe you just want a chat then so be it as this is where you need to be.

Good luck, stick with it and you'll eventually get use to what Cita brings and look forward to a full recovery, with or without her.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Well, I dropped off the radar on purpose for a while to settle myself down after all the Family visits and a little extra dental work after the consultant found nothing "sinister". I am just glad it did not occurr durinig the early stages of Cita and the slight health paranoia I had. Now that would have been interesting! Lol!

I did not feel it possible to try and help people here when I was going through stuff myself which needed sorting. I have missed being here learning, helping where I can and reading your posts of course. Ann will be glad that I am back as it has helped so much.

We are planning our wedding for Autumn next year, co-ordiinated by my 12 year daughter! Well, she is changing so, I thought a little  responsibility and something "real" to occupy her mind (apart from techno stuff) won't go amiss. Perhaps I should not contemplate reducing for another year at least lol!

Talking of which I am not startiing until after seeing my Doctor on the next appt in two weeks time, we feel I need to talk with her and possibly get that little extra (subconsious) reassurance I need. She may or may not be surprised I haven't started, but she's cool.

We did decide enough is enough of the rat race and now planning our existence as "off grid as possible". Not as difficult as we thought as we are a good team - "spiltaparts that found each other" and we want for little. Not that we have much, honestly, just determination I guess. I can focus on this, but I find the daily stroll amongst the masses a little tidious and yearn for the wide open spaces! The Good Life beckons!

Anyway, how are you and yours?

Best wishes,

David & Ann X

Ps Thanks for the therapy session. I now feel that I can return to the fold. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.