Just started my mirtazapine taper off

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just took a 15mg tablet instead of the 30mg I've been taking for a year, as a hypochondriac and emetophobic I'm scared to death because my psychiatrist told me that not one single patient of her had bad withdrawal symptoms which made me feel confident about doing it but I stupidly googled stuff and read about most people feeling terrible and having nausea (the worst thing for me)! Now I feel terrified! Hoping I'll be fine...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hey ive been where you are. i would really encourage you to look at survivingantidepressants.org before starting your taper

• Posted

I asked my psychiatrist about using tapering strips/scales but he said there's so need to do that since just halving the dose will be fine. Plus here I don't think those even exist.

I'm actually doing quite fine except from not sleeping very well.

Feeling quite nauseous but I think that's from me being anxious.... idk

• Posted

Has your psychiatrist have any experience with Ad withdrawal? I doubt it, I suffered really badly I went off to quickly. Before you make any decisions please look on survivingantidepressants.org from the thousands of people who have came off them and are still coming off then make your decision.

• Posted

He told me he has much experience with antidepressants, but the patients who suffered from the biggest withdrawal symptoms were people who took ssris and benzos, while mirtazapine is a quite easy and bareble medicine to come off since the only major symptoms is insomnia.

I don't know if I should trust what he said because I'm feeling very nauseous right now, tho it's the same nausea I have when I get anxious so I can't really understand if it's anxiety or actually withdrawal 😦

• Posted

Mirtazapine or any other ad, benzo is a mind altering drug. its not like a painkiller which you take and its out of your system in couple hours. Please take what I say Seriously. Don't take one persons word for it. This is your health no one else. Your anxiety, nausea and any other weird horrible symptom you get is more than likely related to withdrawal, these are powerful drugs. take a look at the site good luck

• Posted

Phoned my psychiatrist and my gp, both said it's me obsessing over it.... tried to distract myself and I feel better so they're probably right.

Just feel very tired and that's probably withdrawal because I didn't really sleep last night. But I'm gonna check the site now, thank you!

• Posted

i totally agree not to scare u i had bad withdrawals for 4 months my dr told me same thing good luck

• Posted

What symptoms did you experience?

• Posted

The brilliant thing about joining groups like this one is that we have all had/have experience of the effects of anti-depressants.

As already mentioned they are not easy to come off. You need guidance and even then its not easy. Unfortunately due to either lack of interest from doctors or bad advice I don't now have much faith in the medical profession but if you see a psychiatrist regularly maybe thats different. please proceed with caution though!!

• Posted

Taper very, very slowly off the drug. .. Slowly ! Many doctors advocate

to ween slowly... This is about 10% each week or even longer. Your doctor

has you tapering too fast !.. The brain needs time too adjust to the psyche

drugs. If you taper too fast, the brain rebounds. Be patient and taper really

slowly.Most doctors are not taught that all these drugs need to be

tapered really slowly. Abrupt withdrawal can be dangerous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.