Just started on Citalopram and need encouragement as the side effects are awful

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I have been on Citalopram now for 8 days. Side effects are not sleeping, restlessness, anxiety, loss of appetite yet feel like I have eaten a 3 course meal yet i am only managing a banana or piece of toast and my panic attacks have not lessened. Anyone else feel like this and will it get better. Any advice would be welcome thanks..  

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

my side effects were bad, was on 10mg for 6 weeks then 20mg for4 but had to come off them as the benefits were not greater than the side effects, same as yours. In saying that, most people have exact same issues when starting this and go on to clear up fine within 2-3 weeks.

, what dose are you on?

Personally, i would say, try slug it out for 4 weeks, if no improvement then go back to the doc

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would give it two weeks for that to normalize. I had a lot of the same symptoms when I went on the meds... totally not myself. I, am now, thankfully off of these meds. Be sure to only take them until you really feel your life has stabilized and then wean off of them. Some doctors just keep you on them for years and when you finally decide you want to stop taking them you suffer faaarrrr worse withdraw symptoms than you ever did going on the meds. Usually it is worse than the issues that prompted you to start the medication in the first place. Be careful. You feel like crap now because these drugs are very powerful. They affect every part of your body. And in some people the meds forever altered their chemistry... and they have been unable to come off of the meds because of it. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I will persevere for now as it seems like common side effects, I am sure they are very powerful drugs and only wish I didn't need them at all. I will take into account what you said about being on them a long time, I have no intention of taking them longer than I need to. Thanks for your advice. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hang in there, I have only been on it for four days, but the effects were minimal and only for a few days. The little magic pill as I call it, has changed my attitude, geven me a calm patient tone and has helped me attain a better relationship with those I couldn't even stomache before. look for the positives it brings and the bad stuff should minimize.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks I will try to keep going, I was better last night, the mornings I tend to get panic attacks and irritability. It does help to hear other peoples comments on here because you don't feel like your on your own.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up