JuSt started on flu today

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there started on these tablets today and seen there are quite a few side effects from them which scare me , just wondering if anyone as had any ? And does this medicine work ? Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes, we've pretty much had them all in here. Everyone is different. Just know that this is a very slow working medicine so don't give up if you hit a road block early. It can take 8-12 weeks to feel the full effect.

• Posted

I started 20mg daily 12 days ago and was scared of the side effects. I cannot honestly say I've experienced any of the side effects and blame them entirely on the tablets. Everyone's different and the way you metabolise the drug will differ. I feel no change but am aware that I need to give this drug at least 2 months for the cumulative beneficial affect to be manifest.

• Posted

I had every side effect going around 15 or so. Has this worked for me? Most definatley, would i go through the weeks of side effects again? Yes i would because now i am once again living my life. Its not an easy ride for most but worth it.
    • Posted

Woo, when did you feel the medicine really began to work for you without the side effects?
    • Posted

Around 12 weeks the, side effects dropped off weekly, i still get lethargy and nausea around 2 hours after taking but only mildly.
    • Posted

Thanks woo, on week 7 and working through it all, hoping the light at the end of the tunnel is coming soon.
  • Posted

All good points. Also, for some it is easy to confuse the physical symptoms of depression or anxiety with medicine side effects. Just know to not give up at the first sign of either.
  • Posted

I am in week seven The first week I was 5 mg. Second week I was 10 mg. Third week I was 15 mg. Fourth week and fifth week I was 20 mg. Now sixth week 25 mg and going into my seventh week on Friday. Haven't had huge side effects in the beginning just a lot of lethargy but now and we can going into week seven I have a buzzing sensation in my lower back and I am feeling a little more anxious and easily distracted I can't focus well I don't know if this is just the meds kicking in or if it's not working for me am I don't know if it's too early to tell if it's going to work or if it should've already worked by now or if I need to give it more time I have OCD anxiety from my OCD and some depression .I recovered from this 10 years ago on Celexa seeing a wonderful psychiatrist who have been in practice 60 years! I recovered 100% and stayed well for nine years I weaned off select on my last pregnancy two years ago and everything so we came back this summer when I was training for half marathon and had a panic attack out of nowhere and couldn't breathe for two weeks and then all my OCD kicked in and now I just feel like I will never be me again I'm worried that this medicine won't work and I have four kids that I adore and I would do anything for,and I want nothing more than to be there mom again and feel like a normal person again!

• Posted

Hi Monica! I personally know what you're experiencing to a certain extent! I have OCD type anxiety coupled with depression. It can be a real pain sometimes! I first experienced mine when I was 16! I began with celexa (awful for me) I lasted 3 days & had to switch because of an unbearable headache & SEVERE low moods. I basically woke up, went to the couch, and cried all day. Thankfully, my doctor prescribed a low dose of fluoxetine! I began with 10mg & slowly went up to 20mg. However, in my case, this wasn't enough. My primary Doctor sent me to a physh. Doctor who added lamictal to my cocktail of drugs! I reached 200mg of lamictal and 20mg of fluoxetine & was stable! Like a dummy I stopped taking it. I experienced a relapse & felt exactly like you feel now. I now take 60mg of Prozac & 200mg of lamictal. Thankfully the side effects weren't too much for me to handle. I had a slight headache & kanker sores.. Both from the Prozac. The lamictal made me somewhat irritable with each increase, but lasted for a short period of time! For some, the side effects of a certain drug are too much to handle. My grandmother experienced none with celexia, but I couldn't tolerate it. My grandmother tried Prozac, couldn't stand it- I however had no issues with it. These types of meds are trial and error. It's unfortunate that we cannot have a test done to see which chemicals in our brains are too high or too low! I would imagine it would make the AD process so much easier! For some an antidepressant isn't enough (my case) I augmented with lamictal for its mood stabilizing properties & also due to the nature of my anxiety! If you can hold out with the side effects of the med. I would def. give it some time to work! Also, you could possibly look into augmenting with another med if you feel your AD isn't doing enough. The lamictal gave my fluoxetine an oomph! If I may ask, why did you not continue with celexia? Why did your doctor choose fluoxetine? I wish you nothing but the best! Also know that things will get better. You were once in this position before & things got better. That is how I have looked at this situation. When I feel low & hopeless, I reinforce myself knowing that it will get better! If you need anything, I would love to help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.