Just upped dose from 20mg to 30mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been on 20mg of cit for just over 15 weeks in that time I'd say I've had about 10 OK days still got intrusive/negative thoughts anxiety and low mood a few weeks ago I thought I was getting their for a few days then wham it all came back spoke to doc this morning and he said it's time to up dose now so here we go 😬

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFULL

THANKS πŸ˜ƒ

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Don,

I found a marked improvement in how I felt going from 20mg to 30. I was a bit like you on 20, some days I felt the citalopram was working and other days I felt worse than ever.

Upping the dose didn't really seem to throw up any really negative side effects. I felt a bit over energised, but plenty of walking sorted that!.

Hope it goes well for you and remember that with recovery comes great days, crappy days, amazing days and crappy days again, but it all levels out until your days are positive once more.

Louise.

• Posted

Thank you so much Louise

That's just what I needed a bit of reasureance πŸ˜ƒ How long did it take for you to feel better when u went up to 30mg ?

Thanks πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• Posted

I'm actually on 40mgs now....I was having monthly hormonal issues, so citalopram has really helped there.I felt so much better after a couple of weeks.

Be patient with yourself.

• Posted

Grrrrr...meant to say felt so much better after a couple of weeks on 30mgs.
    • Posted

Thanks πŸ˜ƒ

If only you could see the smile on my face when I read your first post lolπŸ˜ƒ

Thanks

• Posted

Hi I increased 20-30mg 3-4 wks ago. Had awful side effects for first two wks then felt fine 3rd wk but now feel tired dizzy headachy again. Not sleeping great so might just be that but wondering if increase too much or should I wait longer?
    • Posted

Hi Claire

Lack of sleep is horrible isn't it. I used to lie awake over thinking everything, or wake up in the middle of the night for a good worry. I found that once sleep became my friend again, things were so much easier to deal with.

Do you have anything to help you sleep?. I take lorazepam occasionally if I need help to sleep. Sometimes just having something at hand can do the trick.

Recovery is totally personal to us all, so what works for me may be different for someone else. Recovery on citalopram is a slow process, but it does work. You've just got to give it time.

I found a blog on the no more panic site, written by "psychopoet" that explained the recovery process well.

Hope this of some help.

Louise

• Posted

Blog is called the citalopram survival guide.
    • Posted

Yes I never really recovered on 20mg as every time I tried to reduce taper

Off both myself and my hubby noticed the difference. I also take thyroxine every day as I don't have a thyroid gland so if i don't get enough sleep that also creates head fuzziness and exhaustion. Sleep only thing that helps, but hard if you keep waking! I might go to doc and ask for something. My mum gave me diazepam and although I went to sleep Easily I still woke early. But I was more anxious then.

• Posted

I have half my thyroid, but I'm not having to take any medication. The thyroid plays a huge part in everything, including our mental health. Maybe your levels are also having an effect 're anxiety?.
    • Posted

Yes once over the side effects I felt much better. However had super busy week last wk and having trouble sleeping which means get exhausted and that sometimes causes me anxiety. But generally I think getting better.
    • Posted

What would you do if you were me? I have been feeling depressed and anxious for 19 months. I keep trying different meds but none are helping me out
    • Posted

Do you think I will be okay ever? I need reassurance. I have been on 20 MG for 4 weeks now
    • Posted

Michele I'm sure you will get better. It's just a process. Sounds like you need to up the dose again. Ask your doc. My sister takes 60mg to help

Her function.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.