JUST WHY ARE SOME DAYS MUCH WORSE THAN OTHERS??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am suffering from really bad depression at the moment and there are definately some days which are much worse than others. I find I dont have the inclinaton to do anything and this is not like me...its killing me and I dont know why I have it so bad. I know that there are much worse people out there and knowing that there are others helps, but its just that I feel so 'alone'...it seems that an awful lot of people dont have a clue when it comes to depression and they think that 'pull yourself together' works when it just makes you worse. I have been given Venlafaxine to take by my GP but after a couple of really bad experiences Im really worried about taking them...I guess that all in all, I dont trust them. But if I dont trust them, then how am I going to get better? I am interested in anyones point of view and how things improve every day, ordinary things for you...its just that I feel so alone at the moment. 

Thanks for listening!

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

dont worry depression can range each day on severity (i know through personal experience). however most medications will start to help after a period of being worse. this is normal so dont worry. for myself i am taking fluoxetine and is too early days to say whether it helps as my mind is all over the place, however i do know from being a psychology student then medication takes a few weeks to get into the bodies system and not until then will they work to the full extent. i hope this has helped you and good luck with the medication.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know what you mean, I'm really struggling at home at the moment and my family don't understand. My mum keeps telling me to just get on with it and I can't explain that it's physically impossible. There are points when just cooking dinner for my kids sends me into a complete meltdown even though it's just putting things in the oven. I'm really lucky in that I have several people at work who are really understanding and are really helpful if I'm having a bad day. There are people that don't get it and think I'm being lazy when I can't pick up the phone but others that get it. 

I haven't had great experiences with meds in the past but I found venlefaxine amazing. It was hard at first as I suffered really badly with anxiety sweating and shaking but after a few weeks it settled down and I started to feel better, I plateaued after a while and my psychiatrist switched me to duloxetine but I'd happily go on venlefaxine in the future if I needed it. Every medication can have side effects and it may not be right for you but if your doctor has suggested it they obviously think its worth a try.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yeah thats the bad thing. a lot of people dont understand mental health conditions. and i personally blame society, as society labels people with mental illnesses as outcasts. giving all those sufferers no hope or help when it comes to telling those close to you about the condition. but dont worry a lot of people here understand are in a simular situation. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is the nature of the illness I am afraid.  I have had depression for over 20 years, and that has been the pattern for me.  Mornings always bad, and usually mood improves as the day goes on.

Yes good days and bad days.   I think, hey I am doing well, then bam down I go again.  Today a bad day for me.  I stopped anti depressants on doctor's suggesti9n to see how I go without medication.  I was in a very low place once, but not so bad now, and coping. 

I think I am doing OK without anti depressants, and just live with the fact I have good and bad days, ups and downs.  The acute phase is over, so I live with the chronic condition now. 

Yes it is a very lonely illness, more so if other people do not understand.  People here do understand, and we all have depression, so we can support each other.  Be careful with Venlafaxine, it really did work well for me, but is very difficult to withdraw from.  You have to decide which is the best thing for you personally.

I, and other people on these sites, have stopped prescribed medication and are now taking supplements.  I think anti depressants are really needed when you are in a place you cannot clkimb out of, but it is worth trying to cope without.  Many would not agree with this, but it is up to the individual to work out what they think is best for them. 

I do hope yiu get good feedbackj here.  Lots of lovely helpful and understanding people.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up