Kaz crystal

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am just about to start mirtazipine 

I had been on citralpram and zopiclone but didn’t sleep on nights I didn’t take zopiclone 

I was told mirtazipine would help with sleep and depression but have heard on here some awful experiences so am really worried starting them now 

I am so desperate to sleep but don’t want them to be over sleepy and I am under weight at the moment , but don’t want to then be over weight and tired all the time 

My job is physical and need to be alert 

Any advise please 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don’t know why you don’t sleep .Mirtazapine  will fix that short term but then leave you with more problems than you started with.I would recommend NOT to go down the Mirtazapine route. 

• Posted

And, your doctor or psych will tell you there is no withdrawal with Mirtazapine. They don’t know how mirtz work ( or doesn’t work) so they are also utterly clueless on withdrawal as well. They will tell you 15mg is a low dose and harmless and easy to get off of, DO NOT believe them. 
  • Posted

it may make you sleep but the side effect are horrendous and getting off it and withdrawal is beyond belief .don't what ever you do start taking this drug you will regret it  it should be banned. and doctors are in total denial about it's effects

• Posted

hi Karen,i was initially prescribed sandox mirtazpine 30mg dose for sleep problems,anxiety  and depression it worked well for about a month and i was getting about 6 to 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep after this period it would still enable e to fall asleep but i would wake and after 2 to 4 hours and not be able to get back to sleep ,it did noting for my depression!In researching this drug i learned that meds such as these are designed to help you fall asleep but not stay asleep as the sedative effect wears off quickly and as such wont make you groggy in waking As a alternative I have recently been prescribed Act-Quetiapine 100mg i was told its safe to take up to 6 tablets a day so far if i take 2 i am again sleeping uninterrupted for 6-7 hours on average but feeling groggy when i wake,but the sensation does pass in about a half a hour.Dont know if that helps at all but i thought id pass my experience with this sleep problem along in the event that you or someone may benefit
  • Posted

Also on the subject of withdrawal i was told by my physician that this drug is not addictive and that i could stop it a any point without concern,this was contrary to what the literature provide with the medication said along with websites i saw in research that stated a gradual reduction was required. In my experience upon abruptly stopping this medication after using it for 3 months i felt a heightened state of anxiety for 2-3 days and no other side effects
  • Posted

Many doctors and psychiatrists are prescribing this unstable toxic drug to people who have situational sleep problems (off label use) as the lower doses (7.5mg) are suppose to be sedative. 

Those poor unsuspecting people end up with horrific SEs from not only taking mirtz but from trying to withdraw from it even after a few days of use.

They complain to their provider about the side effects and they tell them it’s their anxiety/panic/depression returning when those people NEVER had any of those before taking mirtz.

When these inept doctors & psychs see a person struggling with the SEs caused by mirtz, they mis-diagnose them and almost always prescribe another drug which never helps but makes them worse and that is because their symptoms are mirtazapine withdrawal!

Unless and until the Med community at large acknowledge this drug is unstable and toxic, many many more people will suffer and be mis-diagnosed and therefore never helped but instead worsened from putting them on other drugs that exasterbate their mirtz withdrawal.

As bad as you may feel right now with not sleeping, please turn down taking this addictive harmful drug, Karen.

• Posted

Well  Jo , you have definatley scared the hell out of me with your research 

But what would you  suggest I am so desperate to sleep , it is s stressful situation I can’t seem to get an answer  to solve  .in the mean time I am having no sleep what so ever night after night 

I feel my brain is not functioning properly can’t make decisions smallest ones and now have depression and anxiety  feel a different person . I have lost so much weight too , 

I am meant to start mitrazipine Tuesday when weaned off of citralapram I was only on that two weeks at 10mg 

Then advised mitrazipine for sleep , 

But am to scared to take them but can’t go on like this night after night 

• Posted

If I were you, I’d seek out a good Naturopath to solve your sleep issues. If they prescribe anything it will work WITH your body.

Have you tried taking magnesium an hour before bed?

• Posted

You should be scared to take mirtazapine. You have no idea how bad things can get til you’re on this drug and/or trying to get off it.  

As bad as they are, your sleep issues would pale in comparison. 

• Posted

There was a very recent interview with Whoopi Goldberg on CNN, she was a good friend of Robin Williams up to his death.

Whoopi said the Med Robin was on was not serving him well but instead he was clearly worsening on it. 

RIP Robin 💜

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Did you have these horrendous sleep difficulties whilst on citalopram?  I'm just trying to work out when or what triggered this awful sleep situation of yours.  I feel your distress about sleep because what you describe is exactly what I went through but only after stopping mirtazapine.  The more I read up on ADs, the more I suspect that they are responsible for crippling insomnia the moment you attempt to wean yourself off them. 

• Posted

No Christine I had them that’swhy I went to dr in first place without taking anything I had these sleep issues and depression I feel I failed in the training I was doing although I I passed exam then felt loss of confidence I am massage therapist it has snowballed now with lack of sleep can’t remember muscle attachments pain patterns etc long story hsve seened tkbgave s bit of s break down 

But I have taken zopliclone prescribed and citralpram but was worried as it just hypnotic drug it worked two nights then two off were back to sleeplessness all night so then prescribed mitrazipine to swap over 

I feel at the moment dark thoughts  as I dint want to be this person I don’t recognise . Without starting it , 

Jo have you ever not slept for months ? 

It’s horrendous 

I am meant to start Tuesday but

Don’t  know what to do now

• Posted

I can say undoubtedly that mirtazapine will make you sleep (it does that for most people) but the weight gain is awful.  The bigger problem comes when you want to stop it.  The insomnia will be dreadful.  

Does your gp not want to subscribe Zopiclone?  Because I know that's the problem I had.  I had crippling insomnia when stopping mirtazapine and the doctors did not want to give me Zopiclone.  They say sleeping pills are addictive and harmful but in all honesty mirtazapine and most ADs are much worse and more difficult to come off.  I know you said you tried Zopiclone but are the doctors unwilling to prescribe them.

I would go the entire night without sleep.  Sometimes I would get only 1 and a half hours sleep in a 48 hour cycle.  If I was lucky I might get 3-4 hours per night When I saw my GP desperate for help they just gave out another AD.   The first was sertraline.  I never took it.  Then amitryptyline.  I never even bothered to collect that one from the pharmacy.  I just battled along on sleeping tablets, sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't.  But they have definitely helped me more than any antidepressants.  I'm 10 months free of mirtazapine now and I'm much better.  I have sleeping pills as a back up but I haven't taken one in a month AND I'm NOT on any other medication except HRT. 

I know we are all different and I'm only trying to share my experience with you because I do understand your feelings regarding lack of sleep but mine was definitely caused by mirtazapine.

Best wishes

• Posted

Yes Karen,  I’ve had sleep difficulties when I was going thru a Medical situation where I didn’t sleep for months. That’s when my doctor prescribed Mirtazapine.

Easily the single biggest mistake I’ve made in my life was taking it. 

So I do know how terrible not sleeping is. I really do feel for you, hon. Please consider seeing an ND.  I think they can help you.

• Posted

Mitrazapine defo helped me with my sleep my only problem with it was the weight hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.