Keeping Post Operative Pain to a minimum

Posted , 2 users are following.

I I had my surgery 5 days ago I read the various horror stories on this and other sites regarding Hemorrhoidectomy in the months leading up to my surgery. I was filled with so much fear and anxiety I nearly canceled the surgery the day before. However I decided I'd rather be in pain, no matter how severe than continue to  have my a painful and embarrassing prolapsed Hemorrhoid. I am 42, and currently have good health care. I didn't want to push this off til I was older and possibly had different circumstances.

About 24 hours before the surgery I took 2 Tablespoons of Epsom Salt, which is a very strong laxative. I was in agony on the toilet at various points throughout that 24 hours but I surely cleared out everything that was in there. I figured that'd help the surgery and start me on a 'clean slate' after the surgery. Somewhat miraculously I finally dried out about an hour before the surgery.

I was very, very anxious leading up to the surgery but the Dr and team I had were excellent. The surgery went well and I was sent home with various meds, including the all important pain medications. I think the varying results in post operative experience has to do with the skill of the surgeon, technique used, and severity of the problem being corrected. So there's no guarantee anyone's experience will be the same.

Before the surgery I bought the following

Witch Hazel Wipes that are flushable. 

Anal desensitizing lube with 5% lidocaine. This is meant for anal sex, but I figured it might help me.

A tool called Lube Launcher that is used to inject the lube. This comes in two sizes and I found the smaller size is better.

An Enema Bulb

Lots of Witch Hazel.

The first two days after surgery I felt nothing due to the long lasting anesthetic they inject at the surgical site. I knew this would be short lived. I used this time to start regular usage of Witch hazel enemas, followed by the desensitizing lube, then the wipes. I then took a shower. The area is very swollen and it is quite painful to stick anything up my butt but I figured keeping the area clean and numb as possible would work to my advantage.

I also have been regularly taking the Ibuprofen, and laxative products I was prescribed. In addition to this I am eating blended bean and vegetable soups, juices, and Slim Fast Shakes. I want to avoid solid stools at all costs. The pain has slowly increased everyday but I'd call it a 3 at most. I have had a lot of pain in my life, but I wouldn't say I have an above average pain tolerance.

I have been having about 3 bowel movements a day. After every BM I fill the enema with Witch Hazel, lube it up and clear out. This is quite painful but seems to help the swelling and the pain is short lived. I then follow with the desensitizing lube which provides relief for up to 4 hours. I don't know if I am very lucky but I actually have not needed any of my pain medicine yet and the pain does not seem to be increasing. The bloody BMs are decreasing too. I have a feeling of being cut inside and it stings, but it is far from the agonizing pain I've read about. I don't know if I am just lucky or if my regimen is helping. It is a great feeling to not have a Hemorrhoid popping out of my butt everytime I poop. My condition was getting worse every month to the point where I could hardly push it back in. I'm very glad I had the surgery and hopefully I continue to manage the pain the way I have been.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

In addition to the above I am also taking 2 spoonfuls of fiber, the kind that is colorless and tasteless. I've been drinking lots of water, including electrolyte water since I basically have Diarrhea all the time, which is my goal. I also bought a memory foam cushion that I take with me wherever I sit.

• Posted

Hi, so happy to hear you are doing so well pain wise, as you say everyone’s different and it depends on procedure done. I just want to give a word of warning about having diarreah. This can cause stenosis (your butt hole heals too small and will end up needing another op to stretch). I was told that stools should be soft but formed. I’m in England, but wherever you are just check with doc, as it may make it easier now but cause problems in the future. Good luck on the rest of your recovery.
    • Posted

I wasn't aware of Stenosis. If it's not one thing it's another. In that case I'll adjust my regimen for soft stool.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.