Keloid - Cortisone injections

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 22 and have had keloid on my upper left arm since age of 15. I had my injection against Tuberculosis whilst at high school and I noticed about a week or two later that it had developed into a round red lump (about the size of a pea)

I went to see my GP who said it would heal with time.

There was no signs of it healing or going down in size so I went back to him. This time he said he thought that some skin had gotten into the injection and started to grow out (???) but I could get in removed under general anaesthetic.

I was told it would leave a scar about 5cm long but this would fade as time went on.

I was so delighted and for the next couple of months looked forward to being able to wear strappy tops again!

After the surgery the keloid grew up into a raised line with red lumps along the outer sides from where the stitches had been.

The GP then advised me to go for steroid injections on the NHS but I refused as his advice had caused the keloid to grow worse and was afraid.

I left the scar for another few years until I was browsing the web one day and came across \"The Private Clinic\"

I read that they could treat keloids and were part of the Harley Medical Group.

I made my appointment and had a free consultation. They were very friendly and helpful and reassured me the scar could be treated. I had a consultation with the surgeon who was horrified that the GP had not recognised it as a keloid. He told me when I originally went in to get the lump removed, if the GP had correctly diagnosed it I could have had steroid injections then and it would have healed correctly.

I now have to wait until next month when I can get the laser treatment.

The cortisone injections were a little painful but nothing extreme.

I cannot wait for my laser treatment now to get rid of the redness but would advise anyone with keloids to go for the cortisone injections. My scar is completely flat now and I will keep you all updated when I have the laser done

Laura

xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was pleased to hear you were happy with your treatment. I too had a similar scar from an reubella injection I had as a teenager and developed a keloid scar on my shoulder. I then had it operated on and the scar from the operation turned out larger then the keloid.

I then developed a further keloid scar on my chest from an insect bite which I have had for about 20 years. I am quite conscious of it and I have considered some of the treatments available but was never sure how good they are.

I also saw the advert at the Private Clinic. Was your treatment expensive?

I'd also be interested to hear how you got on with the laser treatment.

• Posted

Hi Lisa S,

It's so good to know someone else has this. It's strange when nobody you know has even heard of keloids!

I went to the Private Clinic and the first conultation was free. They basically just let you know if they can help and then they advise the fee. Although the area of my scar is quite small to others they had seen the steroid injection was £150.

I had two of these over the course of 7 weeks. At first I was worried so much because the scar swells and I thought \"Oh my god, what have I done!\"

Then over a day or two it goes down a lot.

I am waiting on getting the laser but in the mean time I am using a cream called meladerm to reduce the redness. I am going to see if this works first as I dont yet know the price of the laser.

If it works I will be fine. Still havent got the courage to wear anything sleeveless yet, though I am sure one day I will!

Let me know how you get on with yours but I would definatley recommend steroid injections for it.

I think you can get them on the NHS also

Laura

xx

• Posted

I had a tatto removed by having it cut out. And 6 months on i have cone like humps either end of scar. Surgeon that did this said it's cause he tried to keep scar short. Since then i had one lot of steriod injections to flatten them. I cannot see any difference 2 weeks on. How many injections did you have all together to flatten scar?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.