Keloids... painful and infected

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with the keloid condition at the age of 10, following a TB injection which left a raised scar that was surgically removed leaving an even large scar. I am now 49, and over the years I have developed 2 large keloid on my back following teenage spots. Additionally, I have scars on my breasts where the slightest irritation from bras and lace has led to a skin abrasion which has subsequently developed into keloid scars. My c section scar was horrendously itchy got c7 years and then suddenly shrank and no longer causes me ant problem. However, the worst scar has been on my belly button following gallstone surgery. It is dense, itchy and protrudes like a ball of scar. For the last 2 years the scar strains against the local flesh, and also chafes against clothing/ waistbands etc. The result is that I regularly get local infections, and have even been hospitalised with cellulitis which has developed. Has anyone had a keloid on their bellybutton and had similar problems? If so any tips.... would you go for surgery to have it removed, and risk a bigger scar. My experience of gps is that they have scant experience of keloids and I often have to educate them on the condition. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the steroid cortisone injections? Painful but most doctors recommend trying it first before a surgery on keloid scars. I have them on my back and had to have surgery for the ones on my chest that grew out of control but not the belly button because I've had no trauma to that spot.

• Posted

Thanks Anthony. I had injections c20 years ago.... scarily painful, but really didn’t age a difference. Maybe it’s time to go back to the gp and look at this as an option. Thanks
  • Posted

Trust me I know it's painful. Unbearable. But the longer you procrastinate the more it hurts. And as the injections start to work the pain decreases. Some doctors will numb you first which actually hurts worse. But then you don't feel the injections or the after pains for like 3 hours which is the worst part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.