Knee

Posted , 15 users are following.

Morning.  to anyone out there in my position,  it is now 10 days today since my knee replacement surgery,  i was home in two days.  I feel as though I ill never get back to normal, but I will because I have had the other knee done a few years ago and also a hip replacement,  so this is definitely  my last op.  Today I awoke and thought come on Jackie make this day your big effort day, I am still on morphine tablets, anti inflammatory, co codamol, you name it I'm taking  it, because otherwise I couldn't do the exercises properly, and boy  they hurt, let's not kid ourselves,  I managed them well yesterday and today it hurts. So I am leaving them just now but will to do again later but I will do them,   I did some housework, changed my sheets, rested, now sitting  with ice,  I get the clips out Tuesday , 29 Of them I must remember to breathe this time. Haha. Physio starts Wednesday but I know what I have to do and I've got my exercise bike at the ready,  I have some targets which is good, I want to go to London with my grandson a treat after his exams. Short  haul flights are ok and it's not for two months yet,  so everyone out there Let me how you are coping,  jackie. 

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are doing well jackie. I had TKR 3 years ago and ws in hospital for 9 days. Found it hard to get the bend to 80 degrees and consultant would not let me home till I was there.

Then lots of physio. It is hard work, but now 3 years down the line it is like having my life back, no other way to describe it.

It does get better I promise.

Take care

Praying for you

Love Sasrah xxx

• Posted

Hi Jackie , I'm day 14 on a pkr, then got to have the other one done in August, all being well , but don't no if that will be total or partial, we'll see, . Today I had my first physio , they were very pleased with me, I've got a 90 degree bend, only after a bit of huffing and puffing. I was doing my physio  before, only to be told that half of it wasn't nesasary , never mind,. Can't wait to get out and about with the dogs again, that my goal, I've learnt not to over do it ,the hard way, I've a way to go, but it's getting there.😀
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,Im 7.5 months. Yesterday I took delivery of a new bike. I cant pedel it so today Im going to start at the gym and am determined to ride the damned thing. Just hang on and if needs be change a painkiller for an antidepressant. The painkillers can be the cause of depression

Set your target realistically and if you go over it doesnt matter and if you meet them - great news to share.

At 4.5 months I went on my first cruise, flying to Jamaica to start it. We went with  Thomsons who have the Dreamliner with plenty of leg room to streach. Thomsons also have  welfare team you can talk toabout your travel

So take heart and you will get there

• Posted

I have my bike at ready but too early for me yet but  I do remember I could only pedal backwards but not forward first,  very odd 
  • Posted

You have done well I won't know till I see physio on Wednesday but I'm nowhere near that and I don't expect to be yet.  I had an epidural and was awake though the whole procedure,  very interesting,  I'll let you know how my physio goes, keep up the good work. 
    • Posted

Sarah and Jackie I am interested in how you found it with the epidural.  I was petrified of having one so asked for genera lad woke up got he most horrendous pain of my life, and upon waking from the anasthetic literally couldn't get the words out quickly enough to say it blooming hurts!  Were you actually wide awake or drifting?  I will need the oth knee done eventually but not sure I could go through that and the rest of it again.  Thanks.  
    • Posted

Hi Elaine my nerve block included sedation, so it was a good as a general. I had no pain until the nerve block wore off ( the following day) Would definately recommend.
    • Posted

I had that too carol .....I thought it a good idea ....but it still didn't prepare me for that awful dam pain and having the first physio visit the next day OUCH......but I was warned just didn't think it would be as painful thought I had a high pain tolerance but I didn't !!!!!!onwards and upwards.....best of luck in recovery
    • Posted

Maybe it is easier, but the after effects can be pretty bad. At eighteen weeks, both my feet are still numb, and as it's both of them, i can only assume it is a result of the intradural . . Not so sure about the nerve pain in the thigh . .that's probably due to the tourniquet. . . but who knows!  It's just a pain that's for sure!
    • Posted

I was wide awake with the epidural (or intradural as they call it here. . )  It seemed like a very long time (two and ahalf hours) and the noise of hammering, chopping etc. is a little off putting. . also the chatting of the surgeon with the nurses about their weekend, or their family etc. . . you wonder if they are really paying attention to your poor leg!  Other people have been given some form of sedative so they are not so aware, and if I were to have another one I would ask for that. i think the worst of it all, though, was the cold!  I was so freezing cold the whole time. . . . 
    • Posted

I had the epidural and it took forever for them to get it in the right location, which ended up as a painful start. I also told the surgeon I didn't want to hear any of the chipping, sawing, whatever, so after nearly 1/2 hour, I was out. I do remember laying there shivering and they put this lovely light thing over me that filled up with warm air. I want one of those! But the epidural needle stayed in for most of my 6 days in the hospital, as it was used for my pain meds, which really felt like nearly nothing. When they took the needle out, I had horendous headaches for about a week, whenever I sat up. Laying down, completely fine. I read up on it and saw it was likely because there was a leak from the epidural. If it didn't stop they would have to try a surgical procedure to make it better. There were a lot of prayers being said. I still vomited after the surgery (which is what happens when I have a general). And I was in incredible pain, though not where I expected it, but from a tightness under my knees. Not sure which route I would choose if (God forbid) it's ever needed again.
    • Posted

I had the terribfle headaches with my first epidural, when I had arthroscopic knee surgery . . not this time though, thank heavens. they told me I had sat up in bed too quickly after the op, and that had cuased it. .  but none warned me not to do that!  I'm not good at anaesthetics. When I had gall bladder surgery, I woke up while they were still stitching me up,and it was rather unpleasant. . so they put me out again, and then when they took the tube out, I couldn't breathe, so they had to put it all back in again!  that's why I chose epidural  for the next three ops!  But neither system is really good . . Hope I don't need any more!
    • Posted

Interesting. I'm pretty sure after the bilateral TKR I never sat up too quickly. But who knows. Definitely no one wants to admit to the possiblility of any problem in the surgical theater.
    • Posted

Please do not let the epidural above put you off, everybody has differnt reactions, I was warned about having a headache but I didnt , apart from the odd sensation of having a numb bum that all wore off Within a few hours, I certainly wouldn't wnt an epidural in for days that is enough to give me a headache, you need to be up and moving the next day, 
    • Posted

I know, day three was horrendous. I have said before that I wish someone had been honest with me about the level of pain as I was totally unprepared for it.
    • Posted

Oh my god that sounds horrendous I couldn't have that.  I'll just have to have a general if I have the other one done, which at this stage, I don't event want to think about!  It's a horrible operation that they don't actually tell you how it's going to hurt straight after and for weeks and week!  X
    • Posted

no really, the epidural isn't bad usually!  Ive had three. . headache with one, the second one absolutely perfect, and the third one seems to have left me with tingly numb feet. . but not really a big problem!  as far as i know they can also make you sleepy so you don't really hear everything going on. I didn't know that, so didn't ask for it, and wish I had. . .I hated the sickness after the general . .although, have to say that when  freind did a general for me, he promised to use a 'good' anaesthetic, and I was absoutely perfet afterwards . . makes you wonder why they ever use the 'bad' anaesthetics!
    • Posted

Sorry, perfect. . actually I'm not perfect . .i just meant perfectly OK!!!

• Posted

I had an epidural with a light GA as I had Bilateral knees which takes 4 hours.  The anaesthetist also inserted a small catheter into each knee which he was able to top up with local anaesthetic.  These were topped up again the following morning before being removed.  I woke up feeling great from the anaesthetic.  Then the slow release tablets had had time to work & I had Endone tabs for breakthrough pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.