Knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's been a month now since I had my knee replacement surgery I thought I was coming along fairly well and the therapist kept telling me you're doing good today I went to the surgeon for a check up and he was quite upset with me my knee can only band at 98 he wants it at 120 MyLake barnacle totally flat  but I'm trying he says on my six week check up my knee better be at 120

and my leg better be totally flat   Otherwise I will never be able to walk straight without a limp and I'll never have a walking on the stairs properly 

does anyone agree with the doctor am I not doing good at all 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Rubbish advice you will get there in YOUR time keep doing exercises icing etc I highly recommend reading Chico posts on here I printed off all of his advice for when I get my other leg done just keep doing the exercises etc and by the way 6 weeks in sorry but you really are being hard in yourself I'm 6 months and still class myself as in recovering 💖💖💖

• Posted

My range of motion improved most around the ten to twelve week period. I am surprised he said that.,.it may have been with the intention of simply encouraging you to keep exercising i guess.are you in UK or elsewhere? Try not to be discouraged. Things continue to improve for months and months!
  • Posted

I think he's being a little harsh for six weeks and everyone does progress differently. Not sure what ROM/straightening should be at 6 weeks. What did your therapist say about that?

I'm at 8 weeks and am going to need a MUA which we are trying to get my insurance to authorize. I went from 90 to 70 because at the 5 week mark the PT was becoming really painful and instead of making my knee feel better it was stiff- felt like I had a wooden leg

But it is a build up of scar tissue which most likely was caused by 2 prior arthroscopys in addition to my tkr.

Agree with Mary- Chico has alot of good info and words of wisdom in his posts.

• Posted

I'm at 5 months, lost track of the weeks, it happens😄 I'm still at 100, walking well but can't get the bend.  I'm working with a personal trainer now. My doctor told me at the last visit to keep working it and not worry.  If it doesn't improve he will do arthroscopic MUA, 15 minute procedure.  He has such a calm attitude about this.  Knee surgery is so hard and can be discouraging, every time I read that someone is two months out and has a 120 bend I beat myself up.  I'd hate it if my surgeon beat me up too.  

Good luck to you and allow your your body to heal at your pace.  You'll get there👍👍

• Posted

I'm 5 months out, stopped counting weeks.  I can only get to 100 degrees.  I walk well but just can't get that bend.  My surgeon says he'd do a MUA arthroscopicly in Sept if I can't get a better bend.  He said don't worry, it's a 15 minute easy surgery.  

I feel so so guilty because I don't have the magic numbers.  My leg is straight as a stick just won't bend.  Please don't add pressure to an already hard healing, you'll get there.  👍👍

• Posted

Hi Bosco -- you need to continue your PT and your knee will bend and reach the so magical 120 bend that the professional (especially Medicare if you live in the US) has set for us. I am 9 months post TKR and my knee still doesn't bend to 120. At 2 months I was 120 then it swell and went back to 95. Now is approximately 110. I have exercise my knee every single day since the day after my surgery. My flexion is fine. I could walk straight, I could do everything that is necessary for everyday life, except the range - can't reach 120. I saw another surgeon while visiting my mother in NY and he told me to continue the exercise and that for some people it takes at least 12 months to recover. However, next week I will see my surgeon (the one that did the surgery). I am waiting to see him and see if he tells me anything different. I will post with his opinion and/or advice. So please don't worry too much and continue with your PT. Your bend will come -- is just too early if your need has been swollen. However, bottom line you need to listen to your surgeon if in another 6 weeks you still have the problem. Please keep us posted -- this is how we help each other. J-21370

• Posted

I don't do well when threatened. I REALLY don't do well when others DISCOURAGE me. I REALLY, REALLY don't do well when I am told that I am not "doing well at all"! I work hard every day to do my best.

I am sitting here VERY UPSET for you!😖

HOW DARE this "doctor" treat you this way!!!

Your therapist obviously has helped you to not only progress but also feel good about that progress.

Your surgeon is making judgements about you which may have no basis in truth.

Keep progressing.

Keep thinking positively.

Keep doing the exercises your therapist has had you do.

You WILL get a good-enough bend and be able to straighten your leg IN YOUR OWN TIME.

Be patient with yourself.

Come back here often!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Hi Bosco, I am 10 weeks post op and my bend is only at 95 and strainghtening is worse. I was really concerned because I thought my progress was slow. When I went to see my surgeon 2 weeks ago he was very happy, he said keep up the exercises and building up the quad muscles and that it will come on. My knee is very swollen which he said is normal and will probably remain swollen for another while.

I do walk a lot and I am now going to the pool which I have found great - but it is still all about exercises, ice and rest. Don't try to run before you can walk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.