Knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am 9 weeks post op, I have just had a fall onto my knee, it hurts like he'll, I have take pain relief, elevate and ice. Is there are chance at this stage I could of damaged the knee. The pain is going down the outside of my leg.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

omg, I am so sorry you fell.  I am 3 weeks out and that is my fear.  I hope you have seen the doctor.  If not, you probably should and have an X-ray done.  You may have the bruised around the knee.  I have heard that the new knee joint is pretty strong.  I hope it all turns out ok for you.  Hang in there.  Take care. 

• Posted

Thank you Kathy, I am elevating and using ice packs. If no better tomorrow I will get it checked out. To be honest it has been my fear as well.
  • Posted

Oh God, my stomach actually jumped when I read that. I think that's something we all fear. I've tripped a couple of times and that was frightening enough. I hope you're OK x

• Posted

You should be ok , I fell at 4 weeks .  Scared the heck out of me but the new knees are tougher and stronger than the other one . Just give it few days of rest and ice you should be fine. If gets worse call Doc.

Debbie 

• Posted

Hi Deb, your doing everything that you can at home but I would err on the cautios side as its a new knee and if you have damaged it the sooner you get it sorted the better, what surface did you land on and was it just from standing, did you land directly on knee cap, has it swollen massively and can you touch it and move it without agony.
  • Posted

I would be worried if it was earlier because you want the cement to be completely set.  At 2 months, that's more unlikely.  At 20 months, I fell on my good knee but bent the TRK knee beyond what I had ever done.  A slight "crunching" sound, a small amount of pain and swelling for a day and I ended up with better ROM than before.  Who knew...

The knee is metal...can't really damage it that way except in extreme circumstances.  The main issues are continuously pounding on it (running) and twisting it.  I'd call the doc to be sure but sounds like you'll be fine by staying off it as much as you can for a few days plus doing the old icing/elevation routine and anti-inflammatory pain meds.  You are still in an early stage of recovery (this takes a year) but it's unlikely you did anything permanent.  The doc can answer the "cement-setting" question.

• Posted

Probably just a minimal chance of damaging the appliance but you sure can play h*** with the soft tissue. Bruising is just brutal and, because you are putting pressure on it by using it so much the healing will take some time. Aleve as an anti inflammatory ( providing it doesn't bother your stomach) and ice plus gentle massage ate about the best you can hope for. However, if it really swells, looks like it's picking up fluid ( gets kind of mushy) and gets really hot, get to your Dr.

• Posted

hi deb just read your post I too fell 9 weeks post op and was fearful for the tkr it was very sore and painful for months but when i went for my review and xrays were done no lasting harm was done However my non operated leg needed 28 stitches Ha ha now healed took 5 months now waiting to have my other leg tkr done hope i dont fall on this one LOL Good luck in your recovery Its a long haul but so worth it smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.