Knee and calf swelling.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am six weeks post surgery. I have developed swelling on the front of my calf and lots of pain and stiffness. I have not made it past 97 on my bend and -4 for straightening. After physical therapy I have extreme pain stiffness swelling for two days. Is this normal to have this swelling? It seems like the pain and swelling have gotten worse especially after physical therapy. I do use ice but I am still very sore and stiff in the morning. The stiffness and pain seem to last two days after physical therapy. I noticed the swelling on the front of my calf last night after physical therapy. Should I be concerned?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. I'm 7 weeks after my TKR, I still have swelling and stiffness. I've noticed my stiffness is worse after physio, or if I have walked alot. Not really noticed anything with my calf, but everyone is different. Ankles may swell, pain down lower leg etc. Don't worry to much about your bend, I was told 97 was good.

Hope you continue to progress.. keep icing if it helps you.

• Posted

Unfortunately everyone has their own normal so its hard to set an absolute on anything. Just keep up with the exercises but don't overdo them so you put yourself in pain. Ice frequently not just after exercise. Your bend will come in time but be sure and work on the straight as that will help prevent limping later on.

Overall, from your description it sounds like you are doing great

• Posted

mary0987 just to mak sure that it is not a bloodclot it will be safe to see your gp he should know, i doubt it though swelling and pain goes hand in hand specialy 6 weeks p.o i am also 6 weeks with the 2nd one and like last night it was a total nightmare for the wife as well lol she is is my nurse, take everything slowly physio rest lots use meds even if you do not like it and ice - elevate, sleep when you can it is one luxuary that eludes me, and do not let the physio overdo it if it hurts tel him her to stop, hope it go,s better it is a vicious operation and takes time to heal my 1st one after a year sometimes acts up a bit so the good news is after 6 weeks it gets better slowly but it does regards danie61

• Posted

Don't know about the calf swelling but the rest is absotively, posolutely normal.  We've all been through it.  I'd continue to ice it and keep taking your meds.  Give it a little time...if it's still there, see your doc.

• Posted

yep,this sounds familiar. Happens to me all the time,if its bad it means ive overdone the exercises ,or,in my case today,was over zealous in cleaning out the shower.

if you can try and throttle back a little on the exercising until the pain/swelling becomes a little less intense and you can manage it. Youre in control ok.

i am 7 weeks post today,nights are a bit of a minefield,never know what to expect,but,unless im imagining it,i seem to detect the very slightest of glimmers.

good luck

Mike

• Posted

Bloody hell Chico,by the time I do all that it'll be time to get up.

seriously though,it's good to think of others,so I'm grateful for your help.

ill be in touch

Mike

• Posted

There's always a pint of Jack...  Actually, being a "functioning alcoholic" during knee surgery recovery could be considered by many to be a viable option...

• Posted

Not sure whereabout in the world are you (my guess would be Canada) but here in Scotland (Aberdeenshire) the book from the hospital which details the op,actually mentions in black and white that a little alcohol could be beneficial during recovery.

must look it up and send you a photo of the text.

• Posted

I'm a Sicilian from Brooklyn, NY (Mafialand) living outside of Fort Worth Texas.  Canada, eh?  Nope...  I did, however, play hockey for 45 years...hence the artificial hip, metal knee and fused back (L3 through S1).  Still have one knee to go (at least a year away) plus spinal stenosis surgery this coming February.  Figured that was about 1,000 splits and kick-saves too many...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.