Knee appears to be getting worse not better.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Dear All, I have just entered my 13th week following TKR and up until about 2 weeks ago I thought I was making good progress but now I'm getting lots of pain especially when the knee gets to about 90 degrees bend mostly at lower outside of knee but its difficult sometimes to pinpoint it as it is so severe. Also, if I stand still for more than a minute or two it becomes so stiff that I struggle to walk. There has been some noticeable reduction in the swelling over the past few weeks but that has been replaced with a clunking of the joint which is a little worrying. Is this a normal part of the healing process or should I be trying to get a referral back to the surgeon ?  

1 like, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

I am 9 months post op (and going in on Wednesday for knee number two).  My knee definitely clunks from time to time and I am told this happens when the swelling has reduced.

If you're concerned, would advise speaking to your physio or GP.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

'Clunking' is normal...you will always have this (I have 2 new knees - first one done dec 2012).  I had my 2nd knee done last Sept and have had more pain with that one (although it's a bespoke knee this time).  I'm unfortunately at the stage now where I can't actually straighten my leg now, so I'm going back into hosp on Fri for a manipulation.  I also had a manipulation on my first one too.

Pain and swelling goes up and down during recovery...and exercise...but ask your consultant if you a very concerned.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi 

My knee (9 weeks) clunks a bit but defintely getting better! I may be having a problem with the flexion. I am at 90 degrees but it is really a hard push. My doctor has mentoned manipulation and I see you have had it done with yur first replacement. Can I ask what is involved and what the recovery from it is and, most importantly, did t work!  And, was it really painful?

Thanks

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks Lynn, I think I will discuss with my GP, something just isn't quite right
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Martyn,sorry to hear of your problem. I have had a similar problem so 

I would suggest starting simply by perhaps thinking if you have doing too much or taking less pain relief. If not then see your doctor. Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Martyn - asked my surgeon about knee clunking (i'm nearly 10 weeks now) it double clunks once as it goes forward and again as it goes back, pretty loud too!  He said it was caused by soft tissue moving, not the prosthesis, but i have heard it doesn't necessarily go away, but it doesn't do any harm to your knee. It doesn't exactly hurt but it feels quite uncomfortable. i also thought my pain had gone but get flare ups - mostly where the bones have been drilled just above and below the knee. Eveyone at the hospital say this will pass in time - certainly hope so. Good luck on all fronts!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Marty, my name is Sandi.  I had a TKR done December 5th, there are definetly up and down days.  I did physical therapy for 9 weeks and then I went to my gym.  Stretches are very important as well as the stationary bicycle and leg presses.  When I stand in one spot or just move around slightly the stiffness is awful.  I alleviate the stiffness by stretching my leg on the stairs.  Apparently this is quite common.  We had a big surgery and of course it will take time to heal properly.  I hope that it is comforting to know that you/we are not alone.  Good luck.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

My manipulation was done under general anaesthetic and you are only in surgery for about 30 mins.  The consultant has to break the 'adhesions' that have grown and are preventing the leg from straightening fully (or bending well).  When you come round in the recovery room, you will be on a CPM machine, which bends and straightens the knee.  I had this for a couple of days, and used it as. UCH as I could...as well as walking round the corridors.  My leg was lovely and straight again and just a little bit painful.  From there I really started to feel much better.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Clunking is normal, mine has now stopped but it was a very odd feeling while it lasted! I haven't experienced much pain, but I do get a pain on the lower outside of the knee when I walk up stairs, or put any additional strain on that knee.  I did tell my surgeon and he x-rayed to check for bone spurs, but he said  (with great pride) that it was perfect, and there were absolutely no problems, so I have put it down to healing pains.  I am very mobile but again when I first stand up I hobble like an old lady,t takes a few strides for the stiffness to wear off and for me to move properly, again I put this down to the healing process, I am two weeks further on than you.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 18 weeks. I have clunking feeling from time to time. Some stiffness on standing. Discomfort above the knee on walking (i walk a lot) and pain bottom right of the knee which I'm told is the nerves healing and may last a while.

Some days i feel almost back to normal. Other days i wonder if i will ever feel ok.

It's a long healing process.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI martyn

I had a bit of a retro step regarding flexibility. I went from 90 to 80 degress. About 6 weeks afer the op. Howseve, it all came back. I rested for a couple of days and then did slow warm up and I am now just over 90. The swelling seems to be pretty much gone for me but if I do too much then I get a bit. Ice packs are good. I am going to try ice packs today BEFORE my physio see how that gets on.

Things seem to move about in the knee and sometimes, like you, the pain is in one place and then in another. I do a sort of John Cleese funny walk, an exaggerated "soldier march" type and that seems to get e moving quite well after a bit of a freeze up.

But if you feel it is not right and only you can tell, go to the doctor. 

Good luck

Liz

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up