knee bends very painful

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 25 days post tkr and i am finding that when sitting on the bed and pulling my knee up to bend it, i am getting pain that shoots diagonally across my knee on the way down. I Am very fed up as it has taken me ages to get even to this stage and i dont want to lose what progress ive made because I cant do this now. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Don't despair! Early days yet . The pain will cost in various foms for a while yet. Try other exercises to bend the knee. Pillow under the knee then raise the akle until lifeguard is straight. D this for at least ten and try to increase to 50. Another one is to put towel or scarf behind the knee and lift until the thigh is at right angles to the bed. Straighten the leg and let the leg bend gently and bounce to the maximum bend you can bear.

good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm like 30 days post opp.  Early days. All is possible. Just gently do excerises. Xxx u will be fine. Don't do so many.    I have the same they said its Normal. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sally,

I'm 20 days and also find it very difficult to bend. I also have the pains you describe and as said, those pains you experience will constantly change. They come and go changing direction and strength. All part of healing and the body accepting it's new parts.

Careful with the exercises and don't push beyond what is reasonably tolerable. I learned the hard way. Pushed my exercises past the limits to get better numbers but caused internal bleeding in the process. Had to go to emergency to have my knee drained. The pain was unbearable.

So give a good stretch but listen to you body. Slow steady progress I believe now is the key. As others here with far more insight and experience have said. Keep up the meds, Ice frequently and get the swelling down. That bend will come smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you Sally. Will bear your comments in mind.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have spent most of the day Asleep after a pretty awful night. I have gently stretched and moved my knee and hope that tomorrow I can resume exercises again.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up