KNEE BRACE?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has been advised to wear a knee brace at any time? I thought about doing it but I don't want to go in reverse. Thanks thanks all. This website has been very helpful in giving  me insight to the fact that I am not a total failure. My PT at rehab center just went by the book and I don't believe she totally understood what I needed; not what her a little book book told her to do. OK the end 

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Im thinking the knee brace may add extra pressure on top of the sweeling. How long has it been since you had the surgery?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was told not to wear any type of knee brace as it sometimes prevents the nerves and muscles healing properly as the restrain things.x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Unless advised by a Dr who specializes in joint work, braces should not be used. They can actually weaken and cause additional damage. If you are depending on them they are more than likely weakening the muscles as they are no longer having to work.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you are going to be doing something out of the ordinary and more than the knee can be trusted to maintain stability, I don't see why not, for a limited time.  Thats better than risking a fall or have your knee twist.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A key part of recovery is re-strengthening your muscles.  A brace will help keep some of your muscles lazy, so it would seem to be counter-productive.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was told the same, but yesterday I started to have doubts. I try to walk 40 mins a day, and yesterday did 30+30+40 at a leisurely pace and with coffee breaks in between.

I had no problems; except afterwards! The knee was still working but the sligtest angle in taking a step would bring pain. Wil be looking quite robotic if I can only walk in a straight line, and will have to take the turns separately.

Started wondering if, in the Op, the cartelege surfaces were not left smooth enough, but there is some sharper "corner" trapping or catching nerve tracts... anyone else experience similar problems? Have you has any advice - the first thought that came to me was a brace?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Key word in what you just said was "afterwards" which is what you are supposed to use to gage how much you do and if it is too much, it's not anything else to worry over, just back off how much you are doing.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you talking about following a TKR? If so, I was told no. When you brace your knee your muscles get lazy and don't work as hard as they should, which will definitely deter your recovery. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up