Knee cartilage torn, then removed...still have a numbness ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from numb feeling on upper leg and lower leg-around the knee, I had torn cartledge removed 3 years ago..just thinking this is normal...but it may not be?? Appreciate any answers..:-) xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had a chrondral flapped 5 weeks ago and above my knee is quite numb and swollen. The surgeon said this is normal but I need physio to help with this. Hard to say if it should be after your length of time..... 

• Posted

Yeah..that's what I'm thinking now..it's not really a problem..some people say " that's just how it is now" I'm thinking mmmmm...I know I should have already asked my doc...it's a different doc now , so I'll just ask I reckon..I never had any other trouble with it either after the anthroposophy ..it healed really well etc.,,it's just that it doesn't feel like it attached, whenever my other leg touches it...grr..thanks for reply..-smile xx
    • Posted

Can I ask you, how long did it take for you to walk normally if you can remember. I am still walking with a limp thanks Bev
    • Posted

Well about 12 months..but I do also have Sorgrens Syndrone, Osteo Arthritis andFibromyalgia, I had quite a lot of hydrotherapy...I never excercised much befire anyway...as the fluid in my left  ear nearly all crystallised due to the SS and I'm dizzy/imbalanced 24/7.. 11 years now.....just used to it..  yes it's frustrating..but hey there's always people a lot worse of than me...So it's not like I was a great excercises anyway..if I was I know I would have been walking and running soo much quicker..I hope this helps Bev.,be blessed:-) xxx
  • Posted

I had bilateral TKR 7 months ago and there is still a lot of numbness. Some say it will go away and others who are years down the road from the surgery still have it. Frustrating, but at least it's not the pain that I had before.
    • Posted

Absolutely no more pain..it was tremendous. I couldn't walk..wheelchair, operated on within weeks too..thanks for reply..:-) xx
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

I had a patella realignment 7 months ago and I still have numbness on the lateral side of my knee. My surgeon told me that the numb area may get smaller, but it might never go away. My husband still has numbness in his ankle 16 years after surgery.

Sorry, it's very individual.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Jodi, I really thought it would just end up staying as is....it's not really a problem, just really feels quite odd...:-) xx thanks heaps..
    • Posted

No worries!

I forgot to mention that I do dry skin brushing which is supposed to help activate nerve tissue. Not sure if it actually does as advertised, but I started using it all over and my skin feels great!

I use a Manicare, round dry skin brush that I purchased through Priceline.

• Posted

Thanks for that tip Jodi..sounds like it should work well..must try it..:-) xxx
  • Posted

My outside upper leg from the knee to the thigh is numb, the feeling never returned and I'm ten months post tkr. One Orthopedic doctor said a nerve was most likely cut and it won't improve, another doctor said it's from the pulling and tearing during the operation and it could improve within 12 months to two years.

It has ever so slightly improved over the ten months, I can actually feel the skin when I press or rub my leg, but I don't hold much hope of it ever getting back to pre op state, anyway it doesn't reduce my ability to get around so I'm not worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.