knee damage

Posted , 3 users are following.

I damaged my left knee at an exercise class 15 weeks ago, so far I have had several appointments with the consultant at the NHS, an MRI SCAN, a op to repair the lateral meniscus, I am having 1 lot of hydrotherapy a week, 2 lots of physio a week( 1 private and 1 NHS), but my knee has still little movement except when in the water for half an hour. I have now decided to go privately as on the last appointment they told me that I had ruptured my ACL and damaged my medial meniscus. I also have pain down the left side of my bad knee. Has anyone had anything similar, will I get back to my normal life???? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't experience the ligament damage but I've had 11 surgeries on my left leg witch include 3 different prosthesis and 5 complete rehabs. Other components of this history: a rare tumor that sarted the problem, radiation, a broken femur from a fall, recurring staph infections, 4 months immobilized without a joint. Mine all started 13 + Gerard ago 6 months before I turned 66. I had my last surgery at age 78 1/2. What I can tell you every time The makevq new entry or there is additional damage the process takes longer. I am assuming you are young, active and in overall good health and physical condition. If this is accurate I am also assuming you were really pouring your all into the rehab. Again, if Im correct you are under the assumption that more and harder is better when you are working out. This being the case you aren't giving you and your leg the proper rest in between. When it comes to joint damage you must rest it well in between workouts. Back off and slow down. You can't fool your body into believing its more than what it really is. This "no pain-no gain" crap is the root of much disappointment when it comes to getting back to normal AND normal may be something different than what you previously knew. Rest it completely for a few days, icing frequently and drinking a high intake of water. Use over the counter anti inflammatory drugs for pain unless it's so severe you need your Dr to prescribe something in the opiates for control. Now start slowly with the excercises......lo number of reps and short sets. Ice well when you are done. Rest......and when you think you are rested, drink a big glass of water and sit down and rest some more. Its going to take 6 -13 weeks to start feeling like you are human again and like I said before, your new normal may be a lot different than your old normal. Knees are pretty unforgiving sometimes. Stay with this group. They are completely different from Dr's and therapists. Everyone on here has been through their own personal hell and can advise accordingly. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, just sat icing my leg now try and do it 3-4 times a day, but will start drinking more water, after your advice. I've been trying to keep as mobile as possible with use of the crutches, have only been taking painkillers at night and minimal amount, I can only use voltorl gel, so put that on at night, so I can get a bit of sleep. I've been trying to loss a bit of weight so there is less pressure on the rest of my body, so have got down to 10stone but would like to loss another 7-14lb to hopefully help with rehabilitation after the next round of surgery. I turned 40 last September, and was trying to stay fit; two hours of dog agility a week with a mad springer, an hour walking with her day, 1 hour of obedience training with her, 2 bootcamp classes a week. As well as working, being a wife and mum of an 18 and 16 year old, so was fairly busy, now my life is full of trying to get better physically and mentally. Roll on tomorrow at the private consultants, hopefully I will get a bit more news. Will try and rest more, thank you for the support!!!
    • Posted

You having problems too, just back from physio and feel shattered now, so am resting and icing my knee.....
    • Posted

I think you are doing way too much for the condition you find yourself . I understand the intense work that goes into agility training as I have a sister in law in California that's been doing it for over 25 years. She has a room full of ribbons and is nationally know for her judging skills. She is 65 and goes like a 25 yr old.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.