Knee dislocation (again)

Posted , 4 users are following.

First time it happend was six months ago, I thought along with it that I had tore my lcl, but was told that that wasnt the case, yesturday was my first time back playing sports or doing anythink other then very light jogging, and my knee just felt so weak, I played for about 30+ min before my dislocation reacured, so now im just wondering what are my options, since time didnt seem to heal the knee, is my best bet surgery, and along with how much would It cost me? Thanks.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi nick so sorry for you its very bad luck ,im afraid your days playing sport might be coming to an end ,you didnt say what sport you play ? but years ago when my husband played soccer he dislocated his shoulder he was 37yrs old it was his second dislocation of that shoulder ,even though the other dislocation was when he was 20yrs old the doctor told him if you dislocate it again the third time it will be an opperation his advice was to retire from the game which he did he never had anymore trouble with the shoulder ,it was a hard price to pay but it was the right decision , i feel for you im not sure how old you are and what sport you play but like my husband you will have to weigh up the pros and cons .im in somewhat of a smillar situation as i love sport i play pitch and putt (shorter game of golf) i play competitively at a high level ,but now after bi lateral that went wrong and a revision last year i too have to come to terms with giving up the game i love and im really going to miss it i went back playing in june and im struggling with the twist of the knee which you have to do going through the ball with the club its not comfortable and aches after for a few days so its time to lay down the club for good i hope in your case you can play sport again get a few opinions on your knee before you do anything good luck
    • Posted

Thanks, Its football which is the only sport I enjoy playing and when it first happend I was devestated that I was going to be out for atleast 3-6monts, I didnt know what I was going to do, and now to hear I might have to stop forever is just too much to take in, keep in mind im only 18 and use to play atleast 3-4 times a week. I guess these things happen for a reason
    • Posted

you might not have to give up you are very young so go and get it checked out by a surgeon and see what he says and make sure you get second opinion it really is very important your bones are very young so maybe things can be sorted dont give up without a fight
  • Posted

Did your medic say that it was ok to resume playing football?
    • Posted

Yeah, he told me when i went back 3months ago, but i wasnt feeling to confident so i waited and went to a physio who told me about 6 weeks ago it was fine and everything was perfect
    • Posted

Nick I think you should contact the surgeon or physio to get your knee assessed as soon as possible.

Is your knee swollen?

It really does need to be x rayed  or scannnedd.

AGE IS ON YOUR SIDE AND THESE INJURIES CAN HEAL . Look at famous footballers and you will discover ht most have had an sports induced injury but have managed to successfully resume their careers in football . Speed in getting an assesment then management and treatment is of the essence here.

Keep thinking positively.

Good luck.

• Posted

Where do you live? In UK surgery would not cost you anything unless you choose to go private.

I suffered with knee dislocation of oth knees for many years. Eventually I had patella removed from on eknee and that is now fine. I ended up having the other knee replaced 3 years ago and that again is very successful.

You need to see an orthopaedic surgeon who will give you the best advice.

Also you could try some physiotherapy exercises but make sure they are given to you by a trained physiotherapist.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Very good advice. As a matter of interest does anyone know anything about the PAELO diet. It is an auto immune diet apparntly. Bear in mind that joint problems can be due to auto immune diseases and also Gluten. . Other than that I don't know much about it at all. Thanks Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.