Knee pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

OK, Im new to this so I hope I posted in the correct place! 3 years ago I was in awful pain with my knee, worsened by a climb up Ben Nevis and Zumba! I was in agony and it would lock and swell and give out, got sent fir physio which was useless and an xray twice! Anyway finally saw a great doc and I was in a real bad way,he sent me for an mri he sent me for an op, I think it was an arthroscopic surgery, it was key hole and he had to do both sides, he gave me some weird looking photos of inside after, not sure what they were! Lol I had immediate relief but now the pain is back and I'm so upset, I've recently started running (although it started to hurt again before) can't kneel down again either, do I need this op again? Please help xx

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

I would advise you to go back to your GP. More x-rays will reveal whether you will improve with another arthroscopy or whether you need a replacement. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry but the worst thing you can do on this knee is to run as it will damage it further. You probably need another MRI to see if you have torn the cartilage or if it is osteoarthritis
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I would get to an orthoscopic surgeon and get an mri. In the meantime I would avoid weight bearing activities and high impact stuff. You didn't mention age, but would guess you are fairly young which makes a difference on allowable activities as well as surgery option. Start icing the leg in the evening, elevate and rest. Let the surgeon be the decision maker regarding treatment.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I too had an arthroscopy which relieved pain etc but on seeing my consultant 6wks later was told that the improvement would be very shortlived ant that I needed a total knee replacement. I had this done 7wks ago and go for my post op appointment today but the improvement is massive. I find that aqua size is one of the best exercises I can do and did do pre op, as it is non weight bearing. Try to see your consultant again to find out what's happening to your knee. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

so sorry to hear that dont even think of running for the forseeable ,i hope he can do something for you without needing knee replacement  as its not a magic wand of an answer as everybody here will tell you  id also say that maybe your running days are over  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry about that maybe take up something else i know its hard when you love it ive had to curtail my sport for a long time and i really missed it go back to doctor !!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up