Knee pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone ..Im now3 and a half months post tkr on y right knee,everything has been prgressing well and im pleased,but for a couple of weeks now im finding my knee feels painfull and achey,and like stabbing pains at times...I just wondered if this is normal or if i should maybe see my GP,as im on Tramadol 50g,but im finding its not touching my pain..any help would be welcome..Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I am 3 months out of op and still get pain and when i stand i can feel the knee dont no if this is normal xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Possibly nerves healing. Nerve damage is the slowest and last part of the recovery. I'm 3 1/2 months out since having the prosthesis installed ( I had staph and had to have the hardware removed, the infection cleared an 4 months later the new hardware put back in) and suddenly this week its like one of those pictures of a night time lightning strike where you see the little fingers shooting all over the place. Pain meds don't seem to have much effect on nerve pain. It generally takes a drug like gabrepentin or lyrica to short circuit nerve pain. As this is my 5th time to have the knee opened and rebuilt I find something different each time
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lou!

I am about where you are time wise with my LEFT KNEE. (Just had my RIGHT KNEE done last Friday.)

Pain varies from day to day and from place to place with BOTH LEGS.

Variables seem to be weather, if I am up on my feet longer than usual, if I keep going to get stuff done rather than STOP and REST and ICE, and if I maybe stayed in a certain position a bit longer than I SHOULD HAVE.

I had nerve blocks with both. Did you have them? With my LEFT KNEE there is still a lot of NUMB places on my leg. My right knee is more moveable and HAS BEEN since the recovery room last Friday. Being able to move it easier has lessened overall pain, I think.

My 1st knee is very stable and strong. It can also get stiff. My tourniquet pain with that leg felt like a STEAK KNIFE was plunged into my thigh! It took about 12 weeks to NOT have to deal with THAT pain!

I have found that my pain varies A LOT from minute to minute, day to day.

Stretching, which I do constantly throughout the day and night helps very much. No pain medication works as good as my nerve block, Toradol (injection done while at the hospital) and the additional Norco ( a Vicodin+ acetaminophen mix in pill form). That combo sure was SWEET, and I miss the PAIN relief it provided for the two and a half days I was in the hospital!

I was expecting a steady lessening of PAIN both times around. I haven't found that to be true. I think that the surgery is a great trauma to many, many tissues, nerves, bones, ligaments, skin, and muscles. Swelling ( inflammation) is the REAL BUGGER! It hits, and then everything goes crazy!

I have discovered that swelling can be there even when you don't necessarily FEEL and/or LOOK puffy. I call it my SNEAKY SWELLING! It must be way inside causing pain and aches, and is VERY ANNOYING!

Keeping a positive attitude, laughing at myself, talking to my knees, having CONTESTS and Competitions between LEFT KNEE and RIGHT KNEE help things stay light.

I pray a lot, keep busy, visit this site A LOT throughout the day, and focus on my progress rather than the PAIN and aches. All of these things help.

I have found that my body seems to "work" on different areas at different times. That's when there is PAIN for awhile in that certain area. In a day or two, my body moves on to ANOTHER area. The place that hurt doesn't hurt anymore, and there is a NEW PLACE or places.

Be patient. You sound like you are experiencing all the regular stuff. If a certain pain in a certain area isn't going away and you can't do things that you once could do after surgery, maybe check with your doctor.

Are you still going to physical therapy? Try doing the exercises and stretches. I have fun trying to work them into my day. (I am QUITE a FIDGET and probably drive people crazy MOVING, but MOVING helps a lot. Sitting for long periods like car trips or concerts is REALLY, REALLY HARD for me. I take EVERY opportunity to MOVE!

I hope your progress continues and you pain says "Buh-bye!" very soon!

Keep in touch, OK?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

yes i had nerve blockers for my knee and i still have aarea of numbness,which sometimes i dont think will ever go..I thought that when i had the tkr after my recovery(which i now  realise is still early days),my new knee would be totallypain free,no more pains,aching,tightness,swelling and being uncomfortable,but i dont think that is how its going to be..im still taking my Tramadol,which do not seem to be touching the pain,i go to bed in pain and wake up during the night with it still...maybe im expecting too much eh. I finished physio a while back,buti stilldo the exercises and walk most days..thanks for your tips,and i always try to keep my chin up xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Always a good idea to have an expert look at it. . .but the nerve pain mentioned by OFG does sound likely. However, I've been putting up with ankle pain thinking it was associated, and now discover it has nothing to do with it, but is actually dead bone and a hole in the ankle. . . For heaven's sake, not that I am suggesting that yours is anything like that!!!  But it's good not to always assume that a problem is normal . . Nerve pain as the nerve reawakens sounds like a very likely scenario in this case, as the pain is quite atrocious, and is not touched by regular pain kjillers, even strong ones like Tramadol. You would need a specific drug like Lyrica or gabapentin . . .and I'd only reccommend  that if the pain was really bad, but take expert advice!  always ask the experts!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you,im going to see my doc friday so will see what he says,but you hit the spot when you said ankle pain as this is something thats been going on with me for a while now,i wasnt sure if its due to the knee,or even arthritis in my ankles,maybe worth mentioning to GP too..
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, definitely My pain is much worse on just getting up, tends to ease off during the day, and returns if I over use the joints.  It's quite a rare condition apparently, about one in a hundred thousand . . so hopefully you don't have anything like that!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think you are maybe expecting too much too soon.. I had TKR 3 years ago and they said it would take about a year before I really began to feel the benefits.

Sorry but it is better to know these things before you start really.

I had qute a lot of pain and discomfort with sleeping for quite a while after operation. I think this is normal.

Don't give up.

Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lou, I am now 8 weeks out.  I experienced bad nerve pain after two weeks. After I finally called the Dr and said he had to do something. he put me on Neuronton 300 mg. it took all my nerve pain away. It was a horrible burning/stabbing pain on top of my knee.  He also said that I was experiencing this pain early, that most nerve pain,if it is going to happen, happens later on.  I still have achy pains sometimes and also have a lot of pain in back of my knee while doing straightening excersizes.  I also have that sneaky swelling inside the knee that keeps me from getting more bend. I now get 125 degree bend but want more. Guess I need a little patience.😄I am told all this is normal.  I do take Tremadol when I know I am going to be on it all day.   Hang in there. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi lou, I'm round the same time as you and am doing really well in general, but one day last week I got really sharp stabbing pain in my knee for about 36 hrs. I paced myself raised my leg and rested. It's fine again now but I think it was either nerve pain healing or maybe I've torn a bit of scar tissue and it got irritated. It's been a long road to recovery but I'm now feeling the benefits, and will be having the other knee done in the next few months
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up