Knee pain on holiday

Posted , 7 users are following.

I arrived in LA on Tuesday after a 14 hour flight, I felt a twinge in my knee on the 2nd day and by the evening I was in A fair amount of pain, I decided to go out the next day anyway and limped around. However since yesterday morning I have had little movement - been resting, iceing, compression, elevating it, ibuprofen etc. It does feel like its getting better I can now put weight on it however it still feels stiff and hurts if i try to force it to bend.

I want to get on with my holiday but obviously don't want it to return worse the next day.

Should I just continue doing what I'm doing? And when will I know that I'm ready to walk again? Will my knee bend without pain or do I need to walk a bit to solve it or stretch anything?

Any help would be really appreciated. I am stuck in a tiny room in LA and my holiday is a contender for vholidays from hell at the moment.

As a side note I seem to suffer from ankle and foot injuries when I overuse my feet. For instance I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago after two days I was laid up in bed for 2 days trying to fix them again.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes absolutely seek medical advice, you could have a DVT. Best to check.
  • Posted

Would suggest you have an ultrasound scan undertaken asap - worst scenario would be a DVT. I had a similar problem whilst on holiday in Lanzarote, which was eventually diagnosed as a badly ruptured Baker's Cyst
  • Posted

I flew to the Caribbean at 5.5 months but it was the Dreamliner with plenty of legroom. It was painful but to enjoy the holiday I kept moving. I used Coolgel & Arnica cream & painkillers. I found the more walking I did ( round the Maya monuments) the easier it got. Since returning 12 days ago walking is so much easier & I havent taken any painkillers justusing the creams. 

I also found chnging my shoes made a difference. I kept o the shoes I used before surgery but changed to new ones with a very slight increase in the heel but still flat and it has made it easier. The side of the new shoe isnt worn so it could be the gait

I understand bout the ankle but mine was caused by fractures 7 years ago

try & enjoy some of your holiday even if its Macy's LOL

• Posted

Wht really bad timing for a knee problem!  Twice after long air journeys I have had a similar problem with my hips, and in both cases it took months to get better . .but in your case, you really need to see a doctor to know what is going on.  I tried to ignore the pain in the hip and still went on walking and climbing, but I still don't know whether I made it worse or not. . . If you can't see a doctor until you return home, I would put as  little pressure on the knee as possible, perhaps use a stick when walking, and take anti inflammatories. . they can't really do any harm short term, and might actually do some good. Hope you can still enjoy your holiday!  I ended up with a fractured spine on holiday in Montana, and somehow still managed to enjoy it! (Have to say the painkillers the hospital gave me probably had something to do with that!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.