Knee pain post op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm almost 12 weeks post op tkr. Still have a little pain especially when I sit and my knee is bent. Anyone else ever had this problem?

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

im at about the same stage as you. Bilateral tkr's on 8th October.  I get pain too when I sit for to long.  Unfortunately, I sit most of the day because I don't work.  They get stiff like before the operation.  Painful to get up on but recover quicker than they use to.  I don't ice, ( I've never iced actually) like the majority on this forum say.  I rarely exercise either.  Use it or lose it, they say.  On the whole, I'm quite happy with the results.  Scaring is pretty ugly but that will fade. 

So, yes, others do have pain still 3 months on.  I hope your recovery goes well.  

Best wishes

Sue xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm 9 weeks today and get pain if I'm sat and push the bend too much.

In my case I've not done any physio at all to be honest - the pain in first 3 weeks was unbearable and I didnt want to set myself back.  I'm not advocating not doing physio in any way....just relating what seems to have worked for me.  My leg is almost straight and I can walk without limp for a mile or so.  Stairs going up no big problem - coming down I still do one at a time.  

I think a "little" pain is to be expected at 12 weeks and am sure it will ease up in the coming months.

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I sometimes have pain on standing, but can pretty much straighten my leg , are u doing excersises, + trying to go further each time?? Still make sure u take plenty of pain relief also ?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have one knee 7 weeks post op and the other 12 weeks. I don't have knee pain but I do have muscle pain by both knees. I think the 12 week knee regressed during the 3 weeks I was not every active with the 7 week knee. Going to the surgeon tomorrow and hope to have some answers. I do walk at least a mile a day and still do the exercises. I am going to ask about using an Exercycle.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there Muffet,

I'm 9 and half weeks post op UKR (partial right knee medial replacement). No pain BUT stiffness and discomfort. If I look at my right knee there is a small band of stiffness/discomfort down the centre of the knee (which is actually just to the right of the incision scar) if you get what I mean. Surgeon at last review has given me hamstring exercises to do - as has my Sports Therapist. suggest you have a look on Youtube for videos of hamstring exercises. Of course, having said this I would add that what treatment is good for one person may not work for another. And I do emphasise I do not have pain just stiffness and discomfort.  Also, at the end of each day, no matter how active I've been during the day I always put my operated leg up higher than my hip for about 20 minutes and apply an ice pack. Hope this helps.

John

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This conversation is a different one than I have been reading. iM at 4 months TKR and it has been hard. I have been doing Therpy since the week I got the knees done, 3Xweek. I also streach twice a day and do the exercises that were given in Therpy twice a day. Everyone on this site have been doing pretty much the same so when I read that some have done no exercises and are doing well it took me back. The stiffness I have been told by many on this site and by Therpy plus droctor is normal up to a year, and even after but not as bad. The swelling and no ice wow I just stopped icing and did it with a cooler Michine all night plus a couple times a day. Still have swelling so I might start again but was given WinterCrest to try and your not suppose to ice with it. The pain is far less and in my last couple of weeks I don't feel like I'm dragging around a tree limb. I really think if you want the bend and straight you need to work for it and I get scared I won't get it to what I need to keep up the activities I like to play, but with the help of everyone that have come to my aid on this site I can see if I keep working it will come. It might take me the 6-12 months but will be worth it. It's amazing how much better you feel when reading the comments on this site. The pain may be in different areas and it may feel a little different but most of us are going through the same like things. When I sit with my knee bent I try on and off to bend it back more to keep the streach going but if I just sit for very long with very little movement and start to move I fill some pain. I always worry about the pain being more and if I over due one day and it's worst I kick back a little the next day and buy the third day it seems to fill better. I hope you find the answers to make you fill better. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Very normal.  12 weeks is no time at all.

I had pain for many months afterwards, particularly when sitting on high chairs, such as restaurants, etc.  I'm on,y really comfortable on a low sofa, where I can stretch my legs out.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

i am only at 4 weeks recovery from a PKR And not pain free.  What I have learned so far is that anytime my knee is in a fixed position for any length of time is when I start having issues with stiffness which leads to the pain.  No matter where I am or what I am doing, I am constantly moving the knee to prevent this.  Hope this helps a little

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up