Knee pain shock after 5 weeks PKR was doing fine is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I know there is no "normal" but I had a partial knee replacement on June 20th (medial side). After lots of difficulties with pain medication I eventually settled into a routine. I have done my physio prescribed exercises three times a day most days, walked a little and iced and elevated. I was doing ok and built up to a 700 yard walk. However 2 days ago my knee on the operated side started really hurting, i feel like i have gone backwards, even though I have still got a reasonable bend and almost staraight the pain is awful, I cant touch it. I am imagingin all sorts, it even feels like its not in the right place??? Has anyone else experienced this? I dont see the surgeon for another 2 weeks.

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Morning Tricia,

your post is is a mirror image of what happened to me. My pkt was June 19 so we are very similar.  Like you my therapy is going very well but at certain random times im in extreme pain on the medial side.  I saw my doctor last Friday and he assured me it was very common and probably due to pushing a little too hard. Patience is the key and ice is your friend. Take time to listen to your body and rest when needed.  I'm finding out this is a marathon not a sprint.  Remember this was a serious shock to the body so allow yourself the time you need to bounce back. Please keep in touch

• Posted

Hi Kitten.    Yes we are at the same point in our knee journey.  Most people on here have had TKR and I must admit I was lead to believe this would be a walk in the park by comparison. I now don't think that is the case at all. It is good to hear from someone the same. My medial knee pain over the last two days is excruciating, it isn't random though worse when putting any weight through it. I saw my physiotherapist today and he thinks it might be just too much too soon. So yes I am back to icing and then more icing! Although we have brought my surgeons appointment forward, he doesn't think there can be anything severe going on as week on week my range of motion is getting better. Apparently that is the indicator. It's getting better because I am working so very hard at it. I have no idea what is too much. So now I am going to have a relaxing weekend just ticking over. Thanks for your reply Kitten it just makes you feel less alone nd less panicky. I hope your recovery is going well and that your pain lessens soon.

• Posted

Hi Kitten. Sorry, I meant to ask where you are with pain killers. Once again I know everyone is different. I have never taken many pain killers over the years but really struggled with this. I moved down from 2 Tramadol taken with 2 paracetamol four times a day to just 1 Tramadol taken twice a day. Lots of people are not on any pain killers at this point and I now need to go back up until the pain subsides. So that's another worry that I will always need them - silly I know. 

• Posted

I feel the same way. It's nice to hear from someone who's going thru the same thing.  What I meant by random was I never know exactly what I did to overdo and cause the pain. It certainly is a learning experience.  I too thought it would be a walk in the park but my doctor explained they still cut the bone so pain and recovery are similar to full replacement.  I'm curious how long were you in the hospital?  Anyway. Everyday is getting better pain wise as long as I don't overdo

• Posted

I had the operation on Tuesday and went home 10.00 am on the Friday. Struggled to get pain relief as I can't take morphine or codeine (they make me very sick) otherwise I think it would have been Thursday home. I was certainly able to cope with less and less painkillers until this incident. Now I seem to be back to the beginning with the pain just able to bend and straighten better.

• Posted

At this point I'm only taking Tylenol but when I told my doctor about the pain he said to go ahead and take the prescribed pain meds when needed.  I know it seems like you're going backwards but you can't heal if you're in pain and not sleeping. You won't always need them and it's not silly to feel that way. I think our biggest problem is comparing ourselves to others.  That's been a big stumbling block for me so now I'm trying to honor what my body is telling me and stay positive with the progress so far.  I think attitude is. Big part of this but I know emotions are all over the place due to the trauma and drugs. Each day WILL get better

• Posted

Hi Tricia, If you can't see your surgeon for a few weeks, it would be a good idea to speak to your physiotherapist about it.  It's quite possible this could be simply because your op was so recent, it's also possible that it may not be that.  If you're concerned, see your GP or your physio. 

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

thanks for taking the time to send me a reply. Seen the physio today, he thinks it might just be doing too much but to be sure seeing the surgeon now next Wednesday. It is difficult to know how much is too much!

• Posted

That's good news Tricia!  It's hard to get to know what the line in the sand is when it's a new thing for you.  1st TKR, just started to get a handle on it.  Now with my TKR about 2 months ago, I know how to gauge it.  It'll come!  You're doing brilliantly!! 

• Posted

Ok now I am panicking!

Although the physio was unconcerned yesterday and to be fair I could still bend my knee. Today I can only bend it very slightly and I'm in a lot of pain. Feel like I am back at the beginning with with very sharp pain when weight bearing. Can hardly walk. I am resting and icing, taking pain killers but definitely worried it all feels different. Five days before I see the surgeon.

Had this happened to anyone else?

• Posted

Absolutely! one tkr 20 months and one 3 months ago and it's up and down.  Please don't worry, but if you do, if it's quicker to see your GP, I'd go with that.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.