Knee pain. What to do now!

Posted , 5 users are following.

In December 2015 I twisted my knee at work (I went one way knee went the other) thought I had sprained it, so struggled on for a month before going to Dr. They organised a mri scan, which showed torn meniscus on left side of knee, but had pain on both sides and I was referred to surgeons. The surgeon operated and trimmed the cartilage and I went for physio. During the physio for 3 months she couldn't figure out why I was still having pain over the bone on the right side after the surgeon said it looked normal. I was told to keep up my exercises for 6 months and the Dr would reassess the pain once a year was up, to see where we would go from there!

11 months after surgery I tripped over at work (someone left something in a stupid place) and as I was talking to a customer never saw it. Used my bad leg to stop myself from falling. Instant excruciating pain in knee and thought I'd done it again. Served my customer and had to rest for 30 mins before heading back to shop floor. I gave it a couple days to see if it would settle down but went back to the drs. Was told to take it easy for a couple weeks and if no better to go back. Went back again and they tried to test for snapped acl ligament but my muscles wouldn't allow her to dull check as the pain was unbearable. So I'm waiting to be referred for another mri scan. This time the pain is behind the knee and I have tingling in my toes. I have problems walking upstairs as I feel pressure in my knee and feels like its going to go bang. The same feeling does happen while walking too but not as often. I do still have the pain on the right of my knee over the bone too. But no one can say why.

Does anyone have any advice or had anything similar. I never been so fed up and sore!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh, sorry to hear.  Can I ask your age range? I always thought that they don't see much when they do an arthroscopy but I could be wrong.  In the meantime before the mri rest, ice, elevate as much as you can.

• Posted

thanks for the reply. I'm 34. I have no idea regarding the arthroscopy. The surgeon said he trimmed the cartilage back and the rest of the knee looked fine! No issues.

• Posted

You really need to be your own very vocal Advocate!! Sometimes patiently going through the process and listening to what the doctors are saying just isn't enough. If you don't get solutions ask for a second opinion or change doctors until they're able to find a way to help you. Good luck on your journey.

• Posted

First...MRIs can be inconclusive.  I had four scans and then four scopes (two each knee) years and years ago.  Two torn menisci and two ripped-off femoral condyle cartilages.  The scopes fixed all of them in turn.  Happens when you play hockey for 45 years.

The end result was the loss of all that cartilage plus aging leading to bone-on-bone arthritis which was solved very successfully for 5-6 years with SynVisc injections.  One set a year worked great for me.  A move to the warmth of Texas from the icy cold of New Jersey kept the pain at bay without any shots for six more years until it all caught up to me in 2016...TKR.

Sometimes, the docs cannot explain the pain by imaging alone...they have to scope the knee and see what's wrong.  Happened to me four times.

• Posted

I 100% agree, mommermom. Somehow it's been planted that Drs are the all.....but they are not. There are some good ones. Some great ones in fact. But they are not great at everything medical.

And if people don't speak up, and do their own research, it is the patient that MAY end up suffering.

• Posted

Soooo, where it hurts....is that where you fell on it? And, I know they did an MRI but did they do an X-ray?
  • Posted

....and I have some other questions for you, and maybe a theory if you're up for continuing to discuss.....

• Posted

Thanks again

They X-rayed it first time round but not this time (as my knee never hut the ground) I tripped over and used the bad leg to catch myself. Then as is buckled I managed to catch myself on the corner of a desk with my hands. If that makes sense.

• Posted

Yeah I'm up for continuing this discussion too. Anything to help. Haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.