Knee PKR becomes Knee Arthoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a hyper extended knee that has now become extremely painful and prevents me from doing virtually anything !

My hospital consultant, who I saw 3 months ago - told me that a PKR was on the cards and I waited and waited - until finally, I received a date for the op of Wednesday 16th March (Pre op date Saturday 12th) - I got my head around that.

Then,2 days ago - I received the pre-op forms to fill in - which stated "Knee arthoscopy" which has upset the apple cart somewhat

What, exactly are the hospital playing at ?

I am in the UK on NHS..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ring them up & say you were under the impression it was a PKR. I had arthoscopies in both knees prior to my TKR ( a few years prior!) & both ops. did diddly squat!
  • Posted

I have my pre=op tomorrow morning - so I guess that they should be able to tell me - but I am just slightly confused

Unless the Arthoscopy is a pre-amble to the PKR ?

• Posted

Hi Steve

I would ring the hospital now and ask if they've sent you the correct forms which should the clarify it for you

• Posted

This is where the problems only begin - another disability that I have is almost total lack of speech (on the phone - it is impossible) -  so I will have to wait until the morning !
  • Posted

Sometimes arthroscopy is done to see if 1) PKR is needed or something else can be done and or 2) if it might be possible to do a partial PKR (Replacing just one side which is a smaller operation) It the joint surfaces are good and a ligament reconstruction would solve the problem this would be the way to go. I would assume that the X-Rays show bone on bone if they were for sure planning a PKR in which case the paper work may have been messed up. You will have to wait 3 months after the arthroscopy before you can have a PKR
    • Posted

I have already had Xrays and an MRI - which I had assumed would be adequate - and the Consuitant told me, to my face, that a PKR would be needed !!
  • Posted

I can feel (and hear) bone-on-bone whenever I put any load on the joint.
  • Posted

then is sounds like the arthroscopy is a waste of time
  • Posted

I agree with Tom - they were complete waste of time for me, they did the knees at different dates (6 weeks apart) - & it made no difference, other than delaying the TKR. Can you not get someone to phone for you - who can hand the phone to you just for consent?
  • Posted

They confirmed at the pre-op this morning

They are only doing an "exploratory" look into my knee

I had arranged for time off with my employers  etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.