Knee problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently had a urinary tract infection which spread to my knee that I had replaced 5 years ago. I have been in hospital for 11 days. One of the doctors said if you have an infection anywhere in the body then if it is going to spresad the first place it spreads to is a joint that has been replaced.

I have had loads of infections since my knee was replaced 5 years ago but this is the first time it has spread to my knee. Has anyone else experienced this with a replaced joint?

Sarah

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sarah, I have not had my knee replaced yet, but I have been told as a result of having Sepsis 3 years ago and numerous urine infections relating to my Prostate, they would not touch my knee if there was even the hint of an infection at the time.
    • Posted

This is very interesting indeed.  Before I had my knee replaced I had recurrent streptococcal infections and was on a low dose of anti biotics to prevent recurrence. At the time of surgery I had been clear of this infection for 10 years. The consultant was concerned about infection and pointed out the risks to me but as I had been clear for so long we went ahead.  Guess what?!!  After TKR they refused to give me the anti biotics again (against the consultant's advice unless he had changed his mind!!) and within a year the infection came back.

Having said all that the last time I had the infection was 4 years ago and I still am off the anti biotics.

Not at all sure if this recent episode was the same infection returning.

I saw a registrar of the consultant this morning and pointed out that I wanted to be absolutely clear that the consultant understood that they had refused me the anti biotics and what does he want me to do?!!

I had an excellent consultant and would certainly recommend him to anyone. He is based at Hereford County Hospital.

Thanks for reply

Sarah

• Posted

This year I have had 2 sessions of travelling to hospital for 28 days each time to receive Intravenous Antibiotics to try and get rid of Urine infections trapped in my prostate and this I believe came from Sepsis. My concern is will I become immune to A/B's and do I really need my Prostate removed to get rid of infections before they do my knee.  You don't know what to do for best and as walking gets harder each day it worries me.

• Posted

I cannot answer your question I'm afraid one just does not know.

When I had streptococcal infections I was on Flucloxacillin.

The intravenous ones I am on now are called Targocid and the oral ones I will satrt onThursday are called Doxycycline. I have never heard of either of them but will look them up on the internet.

Hope you manage to make the right decision for you.

Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op tomorrow I have a uti at the moment, I thought I would leave it to see if it cleared on its own. I am not so I will, i wait till tomorrow to see how it goes !!
  • Posted

I think that may be a universal answer but everything is specific. Many Dr s and dentist s do a prophylactic approach and use a one t o 3 day antibiotic approach. Others don't. I had a plate removed from my leg and 30 days later had to have the knee opened flushed and a PICC line inserted in my arm and 8 week @ 2x's daily antibiotic infusion. Two years later I fell and reactivated the staph and had to have the prosthesos removed completely, the cleaning process and antibiotic infusion completed, the leg immobilized for r months and then a new prosthesis inserted.

That being said, the normal for small and ordinary infections( uti, sinus etc) can be handled with general antibiotics. Don't let anyone scare you as every situation is different.

Good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.